Age of Empires Definitive Edition announced!

Started by AchillesLastStand, June 12, 2017, 11:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

Gird your loins Legionary.....

https://www.ageofempires.com/
https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2017-12-06-microsoft-studios-announce-age-of-empires-definitive-edition-coming-later-this-year
20 years after its launch, Microsoft is proud to announce the Definitive Edition of the original Age of Empires. Fully remastered with 4k graphics, re-orchestrated soundtrack, major gameplay improvements, new narrative, Xbox Live multiplayer and achievements, the Definitive Edition brings back the classic game and its Rise of Rome expansion.

This will be a Pc and Xbox1 title, and have heard conflicting reports on whether it will be Windows 10 only or not :'(

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I'll be curious to get more information on the "major game play improvements" before I break out cigars and start celebrating. Besides, the series was good, twenty years ago...Hasn't the genre moved on in many ways? I suppose some could also argue that its actually devolved, but I think there have also been many advancements too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I think the rationale here is, "LOOK AT THE MONEY BEING MADE BY COSSACKS 3 FOR DOING ALMOST NOTHING!"  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2017, 08:42:06 AM
I'll be curious to get more information on the "major game play improvements" before I break out cigars and start celebrating. Besides, the series was good, twenty years ago...Hasn't the genre moved on in many ways? I suppose some could also argue that its actually devolved, but I think there have also been many advancements too.

buzzkill
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on June 13, 2017, 08:48:20 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2017, 08:42:06 AM

buzzkill

That's why they pay me the big bucks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Is Cossacks 3 really making that much money? I haven't bought it - but I think JH did. So who does that leave?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Put me in the somewhat skeptical camp as well. Looking at the promo video -- yeah, they've prettified the graphics a good deal, but the combat in particular still looks primitive and cartoonish. Not sure how you can go back to that after expectations conditioned by years of Total War and the like.

Age of Empires and Rise of Nations are easily among my favorite all-time PC games. But I never bought the enhanced edition of RoN, and suspect I'll pass on this too. Nostalgia's a powerful force, but I don't think you can ever really go home again.

Hofstadter

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 13, 2017, 08:46:03 AM
I think the rationale here is, "LOOK AT THE MONEY BEING MADE BY COSSACKS 3 FOR DOING ALMOST NOTHING!"  ::)

I dont even know why it made any money at all. Its soulless unit spam
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

bbmike

Didn't they already do an Age of Empire 2 remake?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Hofstadter on June 13, 2017, 09:48:56 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 13, 2017, 08:46:03 AM

I dont even know why it made any money at all. Its soulless unit spam

Because of yours truly... :'(
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2017, 08:58:56 AM
Is Cossacks 3 really making that much money? I haven't bought it - but I think JH did. So who does that leave?

Think?

Heh heh

Gusington

I bought the Age of Empires 2 HD remake and got very depressed in a 'can't go home again' sort of way. I felt I had been duped and the publishers knew they were using my emotions to get me to buy. Maybe I am taking it too much to heart.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

AchillesLastStand

Have read conflicting reports that this is going to be a windows store and xbox1 exclusive. Cant imagine this not going on Steam at some point, that is if they want to sell more copies.