Main Menu

Tigers on the Hunt

Started by BlackJaguar, December 02, 2015, 06:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie61

Quote from: GJK on February 10, 2017, 06:43:12 AM
I get the impression that this wasn't something that Peter programmed but was a scenario pack that was put together.  I think the download for it is like 2mb; crazy small. Adds nothing to the core game.

There were a few fixes and added (3) "Campaign games.

QuoteBug fixes:

• AFV Firing in Advancing Fire Segment that is still in Motion cannot acquire target
• Squad to Half-Squad casualty reduction now counts as a VP

QuoteAs the Campaign Game Scenario last for a while there are some differences from a normal scenario. This is to depict the possibility for a side to do some refit of their units during the night. The differences are that at the start of a new Day:

Broken and Broken+ units will Rally to normal status
    Broken Weapons will be repaired
    Broken Ordnance will be repaired
    Immobilized vehicles will be mobile again
    Off Board Artillery will be back to possible access again

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

solops

AI any good? I read a review that trashed the release version AI.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

GJK

Quote from: solops on February 11, 2017, 05:14:30 PM
AI any good? I read a review that trashed the release version AI.

Not at all for experienced ASL players but it may be somewhat of a challenge on the defense if ASL is new to you.  To overcome the AI's shortcomings (for once you've mastered the game on 'normal' mode) you have the option of handicapping yourself in the form of getting totally random "Out of Command" markers dropped on your units meaning that they are basically useless for the turn.  A totally silly compromise for the lacking AI but in fairness to the programmer, I can't imagine the difficulties in programming a decent AI for an "ASL-lite" type game.

Ideally, I think the better way to handle that is to bump up the OOB for the AI in scenarios if you choose the "hardest" level of play; add a squad (or two), bump up the 8-0 leaders to 9-1 leaders, or add a HMG in place of the MMG for example....not just randomly disable a number of the human players pieces.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Yskonyn

Let's necro this for a bit.

Where does this game stand at this point?
I mainly ask because I could benefit from an AI that plays ASL somewhat proficiently; I don't consider myself an absolute noob anymore with ASL, but nevertheless still a beginner.

The YouTuber idjester was interviewed recently by The 2 Half Squads and the guy said that he could recommend TotH, because about 90% of the ASL rules are at work here and obviously it features an AI to play against as well as an ASL counter mod and a few hundred scenarios.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rayfer

I thoroughly enjoy the game. In my opinion it's the closest thing out there to the old board game Advanced Squad Leader. I find it quite challenging, but then I am a tactically challenged gamer who finds all games of this ilk difficult to win.

Pete Dero

Tigers on the Hunt: Normandy is out! And the base game gets a discount too!

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2638/Tigers.on.the.Hunt.Normandy.is.out!.And.the.base.game.gets.a.discount.too!

Normandy, the second expansion of the acclaimed tactical wargame Tigers on the Hunt, is released!
Tigers on the Hunt: Normandy contains 2 Campaigns and 6 different battles, for a total of 8 challenging scenarios!

The scenarios feature many historical tactical situations from the Normandy Landing, ranging from the heroic deeds of the 6th Company C of 2nd Ranger Battalion at Pointe de la Percée, the British fighting at Le Hamel, Pegasus Bridge, and more!

Grab the game now!

To celebrate this important milestone, the base game and the Kursk DLC are getting a nice 50% discount!
Hurry up, the offer ends on Thursday 12th!

solops

I still have the AI question. I have too many good games with lousy AIs that do not get played.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

I've been holding off on this one for a long time. I'm concerned whether it will really capture and hold my interest, but I broke down with the sale...I also had an anniversary coupon that I used. I got the base game, Kursk and Normandy for $25. I figured, what the heck?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

-budd-

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 06, 2018, 10:52:22 AM
I've been holding off on this one for a long time. I'm concerned whether it will really capture and hold my interest, but I broke down with the sale...I also had an anniversary coupon that I used. I got the base game, Kursk and Normandy for $25. I figured, what the heck?
FYI
There's also a couple hundred user made scenarios available in TOTH forums at Matrix.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Cyrano

I can't see myself buying a game like this without MP, but, JH, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Grim.Reaper

Me too, need impr swoons.... likely will buy myself

Michael Dorosh

I bought the original TOH and it interested me for about 10 minutes.

I just bought the PC version of Lock N Load: Heroes of Stalingrad, and find it is holding my interest. I've played both solo and multiplayer, and it actually taught me some good things about how to play the boardgame version better. I'm also finding the campaign in LnL challenging.

Imagine if MMP went the same route and did a decent PC port of the ASLSK that was as robust as LnL seems to be.

RyanE

Frankly, I find VASL more interesting that Tigers on the Hunt.

Rekim

VASL could be an alternative to TotH IF you own ASL.

"VASL is not a complete product by itself. You must own Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) in order to play. VASL does NOT incorporate the rules, scenarios, or components necessary for playing ASL. It is simply an interface, it is not the game."

Also, the lack of AI means a solo player must play both sides unless using the ASL solitaire rules.

Rayfer

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on July 06, 2018, 08:51:38 PM
I bought the original TOH and it interested me for about 10 minutes.

I just bought the PC version of Lock N Load: Heroes of Stalingrad, and find it is holding my interest. I've played both solo and multiplayer, and it actually taught me some good things about how to play the boardgame version better. I'm also finding the campaign in LnL challenging.

Imagine if MMP went the same route and did a decent PC port of the ASLSK that was as robust as LnL seems to be.

Interesting....I play solo only and had the opposite experience; love Tigers on the Hunt but could never get far into Heroes of Stalingrad.  "To each his own"