Dice Discussion

Started by Bison, January 17, 2017, 11:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Who doesn't love dice?

I have several sets of Chessex dice.  For the most part I'm satisfied with them, but I'm pretty sure my green/gold set the 20 sided dices is not balanced.  I'd need to do an experiment to know for sure, but it seems to roll the same numbers over and over.

Anyway the kids like the funky look of the dice in the Chessex pound of dice.  I picked up a package of them awhile back, but I'm not overly impressed with them.  The colors are god awful for the most part and the random assortment while adding a bunch of dice to the collection didn't really balance out the types of dice like I hoped it would.

I'm considering purchasing a bulk package of Wiz Dice or Skull Splitter.  The benefit is guaranteed sets and a low cost. 

I'm just not convinced that Chessex produce the best dice. 

mirth

This may be a nerdier topic than I can handle.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

You can do it.  It's a topic near and dear to the heart of any true nerd.

mirth

I have a bunch of dice that I collected over the years. Probably mostly Chessex, but I can't remember. It's been at least 15 years since I bought dice (other than those I get in board games).
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

Ah, Dice.... the joy and bane of every gamer.

My favourite dice are set of 6 D6 that came with my first Risk game about 40 years ago. They are 3 red and 3 white basic dice. They roll very well and still have their pip paint after all these years. Probably the dice I trust the most for randomness.

I never was a D&D player so odd shit like D4, D20, D100 etc were never of any interest to me. D8 and D10 were the most exotic I got.

I have a set of gold plated metal dice, D4, two D6, D8 and two D10. Fantastic weight and they all roll well but man, don't use them on any surface you like.  :o

Which brings me to the dice tower I built from an old wooden wine gift crate. Never used one for most of my gaming life but now I don't like NOT using it. They are really easy to build and there are lots of plans out there. Great random rolls and protect your gaming surfaces. I like it even more than dice trays or box lids.

Bison

I've been looking into making a dice tower.  I think one made of wood is the route I'll eventually go.  Played one time with one of those plastic Chessex dice towers and I wanted to break the thing.  The noise was too much.

Bison

Quote from: mirth on January 17, 2017, 11:30:07 AM
It's been at least 15 years since I bought dice (other than those I get in board games).

And you call yourself a gamer!  Bah!

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 11:40:45 AM
I've been looking into making a dice tower.  I think one made of wood is the route I'll eventually go.  Played one time with one of those plastic Chessex dice towers and I wanted to break the thing.  The noise was too much.

Wooden ones still need felt covered bouncing surfaces in them to bring the noise down to an acceptable level.

Bison

I'd thought about that too.  Good point.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 11:41:29 AM
Quote from: mirth on January 17, 2017, 11:30:07 AM
It's been at least 15 years since I bought dice (other than those I get in board games).

And you call yourself a gamer!  Bah!

My dice have served me well. And the ones which didn't were removed from the collection.

mirth

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 11:12:57 AM

I'm considering purchasing a bulk package of Wiz Dice or Skull Splitter.  The benefit is guaranteed sets and a low cost. 

I'm just not convinced that Chessex produce the best dice.

I also couldn't stand a sizable proportion of the colors in Chessex' bulk dice packages.

Picked up a big bag of Wiz Dice a couple years ago.  It has a more even range of less funky colors.  Although the dice quality doesn't really stand out, I appreciated having a more solid range of colors.  I did get a pearl-white set of in the bag, with a light yellow color inside the numbers that is very difficult to read.  But the vast majority of the dice were okay in that regard.  Also saw one d6 with a shallow blunted corner.  So it's not all bacon and ice cream.

Also picked up some of the Q-Workshop basic white & black sets.  IIRC, the d4 and d8 were a bit smaller than the norm, but the set looks good and seems to be a decent quality.   Hell, the whole set may be just slightly smaller than the others discussed here, but that didn't bother me.. and they didn't seem quite as heavy as Chessex dice which is probably a good thing IMO.

I think Q-Workshop's more expensive sets are probably some of the best out there, and have a wide range of fancy graphical styles, but they're rather pricey and some can be a bit more difficult to read if they have too much graphical flair.  I just grabbed a few sets of their basic ones as a compromise between function and good looking fonts.  Probably not what you're looking for if you just want a big ass bag o' dice deal though.

Am curious what the Skull Splitter bags of dice look & feel like.

Bison

Supposedly they add to the randomization of dice rolls. 

Bison

Quote from: Nefaro on January 17, 2017, 12:09:47 PM

Also picked up some of the Q-Workshop basic white & black sets.  IIRC, the d4 and d8 were a bit smaller than the norm, but the set looks good and seems to be a decent quality.   

I really dig the look of these dice.  The numbering is really very cool.

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 12:11:39 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 17, 2017, 12:09:47 PM

Also picked up some of the Q-Workshop basic white & black sets.  IIRC, the d4 and d8 were a bit smaller than the norm, but the set looks good and seems to be a decent quality.   

I really dig the look of these dice.  The numbering is really very cool.

Are those numbers painted on or engraved or cast in?