Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Its already installed and running OK (as far as I can tell) on the old laptop, didn't get any warnings prior to or during the install.  Even downloaded/installed ClassicShell on it...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Well, started the upgrade around 11am and at ~1:50pm, it was at 96%.  The closer it was getting to 100%, the slower the update seemed to be going.  Next thing I see is the upgrade screen telling me that the Windows 10 Upgrade was starting/downloading...WTF.  Looked on my C drive and the update folder had gone for over 3GB, down to 10-20MB.  So the whole update had somehow restarted.   I'm thinking the computer gods are trying to tell me to just stick with Windows 7...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Skoop

What are you windows 10 guys doing for a reformat ?  Are you guys saving a copy of the download ?  How will the free up grade work a year from now when you do a complet os reinstall and have no disk?

Edit:
Lol, figured it out, you can download an ISO of a fresh full windows 10 install from thier website and put it on a flash drive or Dvd as a boot disk when reformatting.  Your upgraded key is now tied to windows 10, just install the ISO when reformatting and off you go.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Skoop on July 29, 2016, 04:54:52 PM
What are you windows 10 guys doing for a reformat ?  Are you guys saving a copy of the download ?  How will the free up grade work a year from now when you do a complet os reinstall and have no disk?

Edit:
Lol, figured it out, you can download an ISO of a fresh full windows 10 install from thier website and put it on a flash drive or Dvd as a boot disk when reformatting.  Your upgraded key is now tied to windows 10, just install the ISO when reformatting and off you go.

Having purchased OEM copies of Win 7 my process was a little different. I actually had to reinstall Win 7 and THEN upgrade to Win 10 using the downloaded ISO. I could not do a clean Win 10 install without having issues with the product key. On the other hand, doing a clean install of my OEM Win 7 followed by the Win 10 upgrade worked fine every time. As it stands right now I have Win 10 installed on a different partition on both my desktop and laptop and I can boot whichever way I want.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 29, 2016, 09:26:23 PM
Quote from: Skoop on July 29, 2016, 04:54:52 PM

Edit:

Having purchased OEM copies of Win 7 my process was a little different. I actually had to reinstall Win 7 and THEN upgrade to Win 10 using the downloaded ISO. I could not do a clean Win 10 install without having issues with the product key. On the other hand, doing a clean install of my OEM Win 7 followed by the Win 10 upgrade worked fine every time. As it stands right now I have Win 10 installed on a different partition on both my desktop and laptop and I can boot whichever way I want.

The downside being that, after installing Win7, it'll have even more Windows updates to do before it upgrades to Win10.  >:(

DoctorQuest

It really hasn't seemed to be that bad. I just plan on giving up the computer for a couple of hours for that sort of work, anyway. Upgrades and installs are sort of hurry up and wait exercises at the best of times.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

I thought this was pretty good. I've downloaded the Spybot program he recommends and it seems to work well. (I already use Spybot S&D).

mirth

Spybot rocks. Been using it for 10-plus years.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Ubercat

MS recently had me answer a poll as to how likely I would be to recommend W10 to a friend! I selected "Not at all likely." I was then prompted to give the reason for my answer. I said "Because of the incredibly obnoxious and arrogant manner in which you forced me to switch. Did you think I'd forget?"
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Martok

Heh.  Nice response.  O0 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

Quote from: Ubercat on October 25, 2016, 02:04:49 PM
MS recently had me answer a poll as to how likely I would be to recommend W10 to a friend! I selected "Not at all likely." I was then prompted to give the reason for my answer. I said "Because of the incredibly obnoxious and arrogant manner in which you forced me to switch. Did you think I'd forget?"

Landru. Gates. He remembers. He knows and he watches. You are strange. Are you not of the Body?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

steve58

mirth