What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 24, 2017, 06:27:37 PM
I honestly can't remember if I've read the original book. If I have, then I guess, um, yep?  >:D

I remember seeing the cover of it, and I have a vague recollection of 'reading' it. It is, however, possible that all I read was a novelization of the film. Caidin's actual novel might be better.

Gasp

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 24, 2017, 05:58:08 PM
^ So, kind of like Martin Caidin's The Final Countdown then?

Ha, now there's a memory, I remember going to the movies when it came out, never to think about it again, too much. Was a decent movie, at the time, for a kid at least. Kudos for the Nimitz crew, at least they were not to go pussyfooting around, at least their intention was not to. And behaved like military throughout. 

Enough spoilers regarding the Back to Normandy book, though  ;)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

Seeing the film a couple dozen times does not equal having read the book.  ::)

In a total coincidence by the way, the History Buff guy did a video on Tora, Tora, Tora (sort of as a protest against being constantly asked to do Pearl Harbor), and ended the video fangasming about the dogfight from FinalCount. There are actually some good stories about how film crews in that time just weren't prepared to deal with filming on a working carrier; how the Zeroes nearly did get fatally soft-killed by the F-14s, etc.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 26, 2017, 12:21:10 PM
Seeing the film a couple dozen times does not equal having read the book.  ::)

No one is missing much if they didn't read the book.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Today, they'd CGI a dogfight between an F-14 and an A6M2 to death. Back then, though, without said technology it was a fantastic display of piloting and skill, making the movie a helluva lot better than some CGI nonsense could provide.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on June 26, 2017, 01:41:04 PM
How's your lawn doing?

Dunno, I'm nowhere near it right now.  :D

JasonPratt

I am ashamed to say it took me until now to realize there's still a cat in your avatar, BC!  :hug:

Quote from: BC on June 26, 2017, 01:33:54 PM
Today, they'd CGI a dogfight between an F-14 and an A6M2 to death. Back then, though, without said technology it was a fantastic display of piloting and skill, making the movie a helluva lot better than some CGI nonsense could provide.

Whereas in this film, the only special effect for the dogfighting sequence was the scream of the wife of one of the stunt pilots when she first saw the footage of her husband in (mock) combat -- which then got mixed into the shriek of the F-14 engines at a key moment.  :o

When one of the stunt pilots can talk about, not only his helmet (with radio connections) but his wristwatch being blown out of the open canopy by the backblast from one of the stunts...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I am thinking of starting The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Is it really wacky and out there or is it sorta grounded dark fantasy? Seeing the trailers for the upcoming movie got me interested.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Never read it, but I've wanted to, in a sado-masochistic way. I say that because I actually read through all of "The Stand" and it kind of turned me off from SK. Not that I was a huge fan of his in the first place; he has a few very awesome stories (The Mist is one of my favorites). Then he does 1500-page masturbatory fantasies like The Stand that makes you think "hey, this will get good again, right?" but never does.

Gusington

I liked The Stand (book).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on June 27, 2017, 08:56:46 AM
I liked The Stand (book).

I liked the start of it a lot. But it went downhill slowly but surely - for me anyway. Isn't it just?

Gusington

I've been yelled at for enjoying The Shining (book) too. Finally got a copy of Salem's Lot that I will be reading this fall.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on June 27, 2017, 09:18:07 AM
I've been yelled at for enjoying The Shining (book) too. Finally got a copy of Salem's Lot that I will be reading this fall.

Both of those are far better books than The Stand... but I liked The Stand too.

The Dark Tower stuff I've read off and on, never in sequence, and never the whole series. Some of it is interesting, some not.

Gusington

Have you read the 1st Dark Tower? Is it worth reading?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd