Eight-bit wargaming

Started by Staggerwing, August 11, 2018, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

I have retained a number of my old computers over the past 20+ years but an Atari 800XL predates all of them. Congratulations, Staggerwing.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

Great acquisition Stags.  The 800XL was my second computer, the first being a Sinclair ZX81. 

Eastern Front was the first strategy game I played, that I recall.  Reforger 88 and Kampfgruppe were also highly played. 

One other non war game I remember playing a lot was an olympic game that came out for the 84 summer games. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Thanks guys.

Gus, sorry for no pix last night. My vintage 1084S monitor was having issues so I'll try again tonight with a  LCD TV I have somewhere.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Red Lightning (1989) - one of my favorites. Loved loved loved the off-map battles for Iceland and Norway and being able to commit troops to those theaters. Also loved the generic air power - I didn't want to get too detailed with either of those and this game handled them perfectly for my tastes.

Then Crusade in Europe, Conflict in Vietnam, NATO Commander, and Decision in the Desert, all excellent games.

Both of these I first played on an Apple IIc (my grandfather's).

Toonces

Star Raiders  :smitten:

Yeah, that's the Reforger '88 I was talking about.  Man 'Wing, you are bringing back some serious memories.  I had an Atari 1200XL...thrown away long, long ago.  Those were such good gaming times.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

DennisS

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 11, 2018, 11:58:32 AM
Battles of Napoleon by SSI. Also Red Storm Rising.  :smitten:

I played RSR until my fingers bled...the FIRST great wargame (computer based) that I loved. That, and F117A.

Toonces

If you liked RSR you should give Cold Waters a close look.  It's a very nice modern re-interpretation of RSR...they really did a nice job with it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Gunship! 1986, MicroProse. Probably my favorite game of all time. Besides all the others.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

M-1 Tank Platoon, also. Steel Thunder was another one I liked a lot. (MicroProse and Accolade, respectively.)

FlickJax

Arnhem and Desert rats on the Spectrum