Eight-bit wargaming

Started by Staggerwing, August 11, 2018, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I recently picked up another vintage gaming computer to go with my Amiga, C-64, and Apple IIc...

... an Atari 800XL. I also got an early Chris Crawford wargame on cartridge, Eastern Front 1941, which was iirc, also released on disk and cassette for other systems at the time.

Both together:

What 8-bit wargames do the rest of you fondly remember from that era?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Next on my list of desired vintage computers are the TRS-80 Coco 2/3 and Atari 520ST/1040ST. The latter pair are still highly sought after by many musicians due to the built in MIDI ports.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Toonces

That's awesome, man!

I always wanted to play Reforger '88.  I had a bootleg copy back in the day, but never had a rulebook so I didn't understand how to work the UI. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

This one?

Here's the Atari version manual, I imagine most commands would be similar on other platforms: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-reforger--88_4334.html

Sir Slash

Battles of Napoleon by SSI. Also Red Storm Rising.  :smitten:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

IronX

Mech Brigade, 1985 on C64. Couldn't get enough of it.

MikeGER

bobarossa

USAAF for my Atari 800.  I played it occasionally until about 10 years ago (when I got Bombing the Reich).  Just sold my old Atari computers and games (800XL and 520ST) last year to a friend who runs a vintage computer store on Ebay.  Don't know if I have a link. 

airboy

Gusington

Star Raiders on the Atari ST - my uncle showed me that game on his ST in his basement around 1984 and I haven't been the same since.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on August 11, 2018, 05:04:00 PM
Star Raiders on the Atari ST - my uncle showed me that game on his ST in his basement around 1984 and I haven't been the same since.

Star Raiders on cartridge actually came with the 800XL when I bought it (along with Pac-Man). I'll be checking both out later tonight.

Gusington

Post pics or lose me forever!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

I have to track down the manual. I tried playing without it and couldn't figure out wtf I was doing. I'll try and post a screenie or two a little later. Also, that classic Atari joystick sux bigtime. It might need rebuilding or something. It barely moves around at all and is painful to hold. I seem to recall that there was a repetitive stress injury officially named after it.  :buck2:

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd