RPG Sales & Discounts

Started by bayonetbrant, December 23, 2016, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on July 23, 2018, 02:04:32 PM
Bundle of Holding has Mutant: Year Zero! Probably my favorite post apocalyptic RPG right now.

how was Ponyfinder not the lead in that post?! ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

Bundle of Holding has Mutant: Year Zero! Probably my favorite post apocalyptic RPG right now.

I've been curious about this system for a while now. Time to dive in!

airboy

Why do you like this so much?  Why is it worth the time cost of admission?  I've got 2+ years of rpg reading backlog and would appreciate your thoughts.

bbmike

Quote from: airboy on July 26, 2018, 12:02:58 PM

Why do you like this so much?  Why is it worth the time cost of admission?  I've got 2+ years of rpg reading backlog and would appreciate your thoughts.

There's a ton of reviews on the web that are worth looking at to describe the game and mechanics (this one's pretty good). For me, I like that this isn't yet another gonzo post apocalyptic game. I like the grim, more realistic setting. There is a built in campaign framework (the Ark) that you can use (if you want to). You are trying to build up/protect the Ark in addition to whatever else is going on in the game. I also think the books are beautifully done. I own hardback copies of the core rules, Genlab Alpha, and Mechatron. But that's also my biggest complaint. You have to buy several books to get everything. Mutant animal types? Buy Genlab Alpha. You want robots? Buy Mechatron. Pure strain humans? They are coming in the yet to be released Elysium. If you can be happy with just the PDFs you won't have that issue, though.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on July 26, 2018, 12:53:14 PMBut that's also my biggest complaint. You have to buy several books to get everything. Mutant animal types? Buy Genlab Alpha. You want robots? Buy Mechatron. Pure strain humans? They are coming in the yet to be released Elysium. If you can be happy with just the PDFs you won't have that issue, though.

is that so that people can just play the subset of hte game they want to play?  or was is just a dressed-up cash grab?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

It's probably a little of both. In fairness, you can play using just Genlab Alpha or Mechatron as they are stand alone. But if you are like me and like manimals and robots in your setting then you need them all.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

Thanks!  Very helpful.

Mutant crawl classics wants "mystery" to be preserved which is a good goal.  But MCC incorporates a lot of randomness which can hit gonzo level quickly.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on July 27, 2018, 10:39:09 AM
Thanks!  Very helpful.

Mutant crawl classics wants "mystery" to be preserved which is a good goal.  But MCC incorporates a lot of randomness which can hit gonzo level quickly.

I glanced at MCC, but there's another 3rd party one based off DCC called Umerican Survival Guide which has a setting that seems a bit more interesting to me and possibly a bit more filled out.  The core MCC book appeared rather light on content to me. *shrug*

Then again, I already have some The Mutant Epoch for a bigyuge dose of post-apoc gonzo.   :crazy2:  \m/

airboy

Bought the starter group for Mutant Year Zero.  Like I need more unread RPG stuff, but I'm weak.

I put Uamerican on my wishlist for the inevitable sale.

bbmike

Quote from: airboy on August 08, 2018, 10:41:47 AM
Bought the starter group for Mutant Year Zero.  Like I need more unread RPG stuff, but I'm weak.

I put Uamerican on my wishlist for the inevitable sale.

:bd:
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

I'm putting it here also because of the medieval setting:

Life in a Medieval Castle by Gies & Gies is $1.99 on Kindle
https://www.amazon.com/Life-Medieval-Castle-P-S-Paperback-ebook/dp/B003JBHV4A?_bbid=10480525&tag=bookbubemail14-20

This is an outstanding, short book.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Humble Bundle's got the Cubicle 7 version of The Lord of the Rings RPG on sale right now.  I played the old ICE version and enjoyed it.  Don't know anything about the Cubicle 7 version but I might spend a dollah and get the rulebook for skimming.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/lord-of-the-rings-rpg-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_3

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 22, 2018, 02:50:19 PM
Humble Bundle's got the Cubicle 7 version of The Lord of the Rings RPG on sale right now.  I played the old ICE version and enjoyed it.  Don't know anything about the Cubicle 7 version but I might spend a dollah and get the rulebook for skimming.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/lord-of-the-rings-rpg-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_3

The One Ring RPG is it's own thing, and much of the mechanics were made to fit the themes of Tolkien's writing better than the shoehorning of the old Rolemaster system into the old MERP editions (I sold my MERP 2e stuff not long ago).

TOR is an interesting read for it's different approach.  There is a mechanical niggle or two but there are a bunch of modular player hacks floating around in compilations.  I have a few hardbacks which are gorgeous.

I definitely recommend checking it out.  I mean.. the Core book and a couple others are $1.   :o

Nefaro

GDW's old 2300AD just went on sale at Bundle Of Holding.

I thought the 2E version was pretty cool back in the day.  Despite being a bit thin on content.  The near-future scifi setting, with some modern nations still at odds after extra-solar colonization, is great and a nice change from the usual space operas and sci-fantasies.  Pretty sure it was a future extension of GDW's Twilight: 2000 world.

Almost tempted to pick up the whole package but I've been waiting on Mongoose to release a new version of the setting for their latest Traveller 2e.  Dunno if that's a guarantee but I saw something about it being in the works. 

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/GDW2300AD

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2018, 04:07:51 PM
GDW's old 2300AD just went on sale at Bundle Of Holding.

I thought the 2E version was pretty cool back in the day.  Despite being a bit thin on content.  The near-future scifi setting, with some modern nations still at odds after extra-solar colonization, is great and a nice change from the usual space operas and sci-fantasies.  Pretty sure it was a future extension of GDW's Twilight: 2000 world.

Almost tempted to pick up the whole package but I've been waiting on Mongoose to release a new version of the setting for their latest Traveller 2e.  Dunno if that's a guarantee but I saw something about it being in the works. 

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/GDW2300AD

I bought 2300AD and ran a campaign back in the day.  Never really caught on with the group though.  We all liked the setting but felt that the main antagonist aliens were just not very interesting and I was too lazy as a GM to come up with an alternative.  I can't remember all the details but the one that stuck us all as the problem was that they were designed to function as moronic cannon fodder until a certain level of threat was reached and then their dormant higher brains would kick in and they'd act intelligently.  Never figured out how they'd evolved to develop an industrial society with such constraints.