Big Trouble In Little China: The Game

Started by mirth, March 30, 2017, 06:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mirth

"Aww shit Wang. It's only a game."

Easily half the fun of this game will be quoting the movie.

Capn Darwin

Does the game come with a six demon bag?
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Nefaro

Played this co-op game with a buddy a couple nights ago. 

I ran Egg Shen while he took Jack Burton.

It was pretty fun but I'm a bit concerned about normal mode's challenge.  Act I side was a nail-biter, us barely coming back to push our Chi (i.e. 'XP') Track up to the showdown slot only one space ahead of Lo Pan's Threat Track.  Great pacing in Act I on the first experience.

The second Act was where we did a bit too well.  Having two players meant we essentially had six rounds (iirc) before Lo Pan's ritual was finished and he won (less each time one of us died in combat).  We ended up murderizing him with about three and a half rounds left.  I'd like to think this was due to my amazing skill at planning strategery  :)) .  We did actually have to take many things into account for formulating a good plan in Act II which was appreciated.  I just felt the Act II victory was a bit easy, despite initially looking a bit intimidating.

Of course, that Act II difficulty was affected by which quests we got in the first Act and how quickly we leveled up there.  While the first Act was a steady struggle to finish main quests (we got 2 of 3 done) and level up (the final turn we hit level 6 which is when you have most of your stuff), I think our squeaked-out success from Act I translated into some overpowering dice pools in Act II. 

That late game difficulty change could be due to only running it with 2 players.  The game was obviously made for 4 players because there are setup and spawn adjustments for different player counts.  I'm not sure how much a 4-player game would differ, but I expect it probablyw ould in some way.  Fortunately there is a "Director's Cut" option which adds more baddies on each spawn card so we may try that next time to see how much it raises the difficulty.  Should make it noticeably more challenging.

airboy

I just bought this game.  It is becoming hard to find.  Was hoping to play it at Origins in June, but there was only one session and it sold out before I could register.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on May 06, 2019, 06:58:29 PM
I just bought this game.  It is becoming hard to find.  Was hoping to play it at Origins in June, but there was only one session and it sold out before I could register.

Guess I better hang on to mine.  :arr:

I still want to paint the minis, but my painting "to do" list is massive. 

After some more reflection, and playing some other games since, I'm liking it even more.  Need to bring it back to the table soon.

airboy

I read about the game extensively before ordering.  Your experience in Acts 1, 2 and 3 are common.  The general take is if the players play cooperatively it starts out very hard but becomes easier if you survive.  But if you play competitively you can handle Act 1 and maybe 2 with little difficulty and get hammered in Act 3.

What I read was most of the players have a devastating special attack and a power that makes the entire group more effective.  You can only chose one power per act. 

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on May 08, 2019, 10:59:58 AM
I read about the game extensively before ordering.  Your experience in Acts 1, 2 and 3 are common.  The general take is if the players play cooperatively it starts out very hard but becomes easier if you survive.  But if you play competitively you can handle Act 1 and maybe 2 with little difficulty and get hammered in Act 3.

What I read was most of the players have a devastating special attack and a power that makes the entire group more effective.  You can only chose one power per act.

Even though it felt like we cruised through the last 2 Acts, I may have been hasty if I described it as too easy.  Because we definitely had to do some serious teamwork strategeryin' in the final Act, and the win wasn't a guarantee until our last few moves. 

Definitely wanna get it back out & see how a second run goes.  My tabletop backlog is huge, but it's gonna get moved up the list a ways.

BanzaiCat