Main Menu

Wild West Online

Started by Steelgrave, May 12, 2017, 10:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Kickstarter is launching later this month. Dare I hope this could be the wild, wild west MMO I've been dreaming of for years???

http://www.pcgamer.com/wild-west-online-revealed/?utm_content=buffer569bc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

FlickJax

I will give that a go; I still watch John Wayne over and over again :)

bbmike

Interesting, that looks coo! I love the western setting but hate MMOs.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Steelgrave

Quote from: bbmike on May 12, 2017, 11:25:07 AM

MMO's aren't my favorite but I did play WoW for years and before that, City of Heroes and even Everquest. As far back as EQ I was making comments that someone should do a Western. Now I have to hope it's more "Lonesome Dove" and less spaghetti western.

JasonPratt

Not only is Red Dead Redemption 2 coming for PC this time (and one suspects a port from XBox360 should be in the work for the excellent first game), but strong rumor is that Ubisoft intends to compete with their next Far Cry -- which would be very reasonable.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 12, 2017, 02:01:03 PM

Not only is Red Dead Redemption 2 coming for PC this time (and one suspects a port from XBox360 should be in the work for the excellent first game), but strong rumor is that Ubisoft intends to compete with their next Far Cry -- which would be very reasonable.

I reckon I'll have to wait and see what my options are.  :cowboy:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

AchillesLastStand

Me wonders if ill be able to mosey up to the bar and order a sasparilla........

DennisS

This sounds like a griefer's paradise. Grab a rifle, and shoot anything that moves.

Toonces

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on May 13, 2017, 02:16:01 AM
Me wonders if ill be able to mosey up to the bar and order a sasparilla........

Souix City sarsaparilla?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Steelgrave

Quote from: DennisS on May 13, 2017, 08:14:45 AM
This sounds like a griefer's paradise. Grab a rifle, and shoot anything that moves.

Too early to tell, however the article mentions a reputation system and how that would affect PC's. If it's Day Z set in the west, then I'm not interested. If however there is some legitimate tie-in with a character's actions and reputation, that could be workable.

jamus34

I really have no idea why rockstar never ported RDR to PC over Bully. I never finished it but it is an awesome game and visually astounding.
Insert witty comment here.

jomni

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 13, 2017, 09:42:13 AM
Quote from: DennisS on May 13, 2017, 08:14:45 AM

Too early to tell, however the article mentions a reputation system and how that would affect PC's. If it's Day Z set in the west, then I'm not interested. If however there is some legitimate tie-in with a character's actions and reputation, that could be workable.

Hope it's Elite Dangersous set in the wild west.

JasonPratt

Quote from: jamus34 on May 13, 2017, 10:15:40 AM
I really have no idea why rockstar never ported RDR to PC over Bully. I never finished it but it is an awesome game and visually astounding.

I finished (on PS3) and its quality continues through. (Also, albeit in some different ways, through the alternate ending zombie DLC campaign.)

Ditto -- never understood why they wouldn't bother. The code for the XB360 couldn't have been THAT much different from Windows, could it?  :-\ Must have been a licensing agreement.

But Bayonetta at last came to PC, in these latter days, so perhaps there is hope for other properties not intrinsically tied to only one platform. With RDR2 (which ought to be 0, I guess, since it's a prequel and not about foiling a Mexican attempt at invading the southern states during World War 1, which would have been unspeakably awesome, sigh) coming to PC out of the gate, Rockstar would be simply leaving money on the table not to issue a preliminary or parallel port now.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

bbmike

Jason, where did you see that RDR2 will be released for the PC? Their website only shows PS4 and Xbox One for preorder.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

.... ??? Well, I sure thought I saw it mentioned as PC. Maybe not immediately, consoles first? I'll look around.

Okay, originally it was promoted as being released for the PC, but either that was dropped or a misunderstanding or something. Confirmed not for PC.

Since I don't own a current-gen console, and it won't be out for the PS3, I'll be neverminding I guess.

...UBISOFT UBISOFT UBISOFT!!