steam dropping win xp and vista support 2019

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 12, 2018, 08:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

ok, any hold outs.....time to upgrade:)

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-will-drop-windows-xp-and-vista-support-at-the-end-of-the-year/

only time before win 7 and the older systems get in their crosshairs:)

mirth

XP and Vista are well past being supported by MS, so this makes total sense. Win 7 has ways to go yet (at least until 2020).
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Grim.Reaper

yep, probably even longer...still about 35% of steam users use windows 7, lot of cash they would lose...

mirth

Yeah, Steam support is likely to go well beyond the MS End of Life date. Hell, the XP end of life was back in 2014.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Does this mean I wont be able to play Jet Set Willy anymore? What if I use the POKE 59901,82 attic fix?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Stryker07

I was still running a Vista machine until Sept. last year, when I finally bought one I had built a couple years ago from the guy i built it for. Chrome wasn't working well anymore, I knew it was time to move on, lol. If it hadn't been for IL2 BoS needing DX11 I would probably still be running my old 9800GT. I really didn't know what I was missing, even this low-mid range GTX 750 is a huge step up from my old card.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps