Greatest Films According To Grogs: 1980 Sweet 16

Started by BanzaiCat, February 16, 2018, 10:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Here's Take Two at the first 16-movie bracket I'm attempting, and hopefully am doing it correctly this time!

1980 was a brutal year when it comes to movies. I put this list together from the top films of that year (top-grossing, that is), and while there are plenty of awesome flicks in the top 16 or so of them, I skipped a few as I didn't think they'd make much of a case for themselves (e.g., 9 to 5 is a terrific film, but there's others in 1980 that would probably make y'all more interested). After compiling the list, I put them into the bracket format, and found some of the match-ups to be...unfortunate. :)

And to be completely honest, I don't see a result to this that won't end up with The Empire Strikes Back on top. But, it might be a surprise, who knows; plus, the results as this progresses would be very interesting to see.

Thanks to MetalDog for helping with some pointers, and for letting me unashamedly copy his format. I figure not only does that make things easier for me, but those of you voting in these will find it very familiar.

Q&A
Q: "Why did you choose X film? Y was much better! You suck!"

A: Eat me, make your own bracket then.  O:-)

So without further ado, here is the list of films.

BRACKET ONE: 1 versus 16

1. The Empire Strikes Back

16. The Final Countdown

BRACKET TWO: 8 versus 9

8. Caddyshack

9. Friday the 13th

BRACKET THREE: 5 versus 12

5. The Blues Brothers

12. Raging Bull

BRACKET FOUR: 4 versus 13

4. Smokey and the Bandit II

13. Fame

BRACKET FIVE: 6 versus 11

6. The Shining

11. Flash Gordon

BRACKET SIX: 3 versus 14

3. Airplane!

14. Altered States

BRACKET SEVEN: 7 versus 10

7. Seems Like Old Times

10. Brubaker

BRACKET EIGHT: 2 versus 15

2. Stir Crazy

15. The Octagon

mirth

Cue Brant to start bitching about matchups and films not in the bracket.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on February 16, 2018, 10:25:16 AM
Cue Brant to start bitching about matchups and films not in the bracket.

And I'm fine with that. Refer to the Q&A, above. :)

bayonetbrant

nah...  more like "put the numbers with the movie titles in the poll options, like MD does" :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 16, 2018, 10:34:24 AM
nah...  more like "put the numbers with the movie titles in the poll options, like MD does" :)

Done. Thank you for the helpful and amazing feedback!  O0

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 16, 2018, 10:40:35 AM
Was I meant to be able to do this?

You're not supposed to do that...I mean, you can do that in MD's polls but they shouldn't be selected. I added numbers to the front of each movie to make them easier to spot. I totally missed doing that. Hopefully that's the last mess-up but I doubt it somehow.

mirth

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 16, 2018, 10:40:35 AM
Was I meant to be able to do this?

You picked the labels, didn't you?  ;D

Unfortunately that is a limitation of the forum poll feature.

You're going to piss BC off right out of the gate.  :bd:

BanzaiCat

Yep, there's an option to be allowed to change your vote. I can't recall what the default selection is.

JD, if you can change your vote, that would be great, but if not, I'll remember to mention this moving forward.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on February 16, 2018, 10:44:32 AM
You're going to piss BC off right out of the gate.  :bd:

If that's the worst thing to happen out of the gate, so be it. I'm not worried about it. But I'm guessing, JD, that you didn't vote in MD's music polls?

In any case, shite happens. Unless he did it on purpose, of course. LOL

mirth

Barthheart

Normally, in MD's polls, we don't get to see the results until the poll closes... not right after we vote.... might affect the out comes... if we can go back and change our votes....
Not that I'm complaining or anything...  8)

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on February 16, 2018, 11:06:09 AM
Normally, in MD's polls, we don't get to see the results until the poll closes... not right after we vote.... might affect the out comes... if we can go back and change our votes....
Not that I'm complaining or anything...  8)

Yep, this is just going swimmingly. There's an option to lock it until after voting expires. I could have sworn I selected it but somehow not. And of course post-posting, it's not possible to switch it over.

I can, however, change it to not show results until after polling...for the moment. I'll be sure to do that moving forward.

mirth

I'd like to be able to change my vote. Gives me a greater opportunity to piss Brant off.

trailrunner

The label for the 2-15 match has more votes than The Octagon movie itself. Go label!