Main Menu

Revisiting Rome II

Started by MengJiao, April 28, 2019, 05:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Pocus on September 11, 2019, 02:45:35 AM
Do you guys play with vanilla or a mod? I installed this big all encompassing mod (I don't remember its name, but not Radious the other) and there is something I just hate. And perhaps that's also in vanilla...

That's the 'sprinkle effect'. i.e anything or anyone giving a bonus just don't give a decent 1-3 bonuses, but 15+ very minor bonuses. Like say you have a general with a 'Public Order' trait, then you can be sure he will end up with stuff like: +2% Public Order, +3% Sanitation, +1% Wet Feet, -2% Cheese production, +4% the color of sky is blue and so on.

I just hate that. It makes totally impossible a simple analysis, where you can put in your mind: ok this guy is good at ... or bad at.

Strangely, Total Warhammer II has not this issue. So that's probably not from Creative Assembly, but from the mod. Now, playing Rome II without a mod, is like eating without salt I guess.

And so, I can't get into Rome II.

I'm usually running a bunch of semi-civilized quasi barbarians.  I feel lucky if they seem to have some idea of how to tell one end of a stick from the other.

Yskonyn

I never play Total War games with mods.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MengJiao

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 11, 2019, 09:03:29 AM

I did for a while, but with the DLC, Rome II is sort of modded anyway so...I've been playing Vanilla for the last few years.

Sir Slash

I like the DEI Mod. It ups the strategy requirement, slows the game down a little, and is way more challenging fighting battles. Radious was good too but made the campaign a little too easy for my tastes. Just can't go back to vanilla.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Modding for TW has some of the best modding packs you'll find anywhere - especially Rome II and Attila. And Charlemagne.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 11, 2019, 09:55:47 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on September 11, 2019, 09:03:29 AM

I did for a while, but with the DLC, Rome II is sort of modded anyway so...I've been playing Vanilla for the last few years.

And there's always the unexpected -- the enemy doesn't always fall for the cone trick:

Con

They might take the rocky road instead

Sir Slash

That kind of reminds me of an Office Party I went to one year. But with more cones and fewer feathers.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 11, 2019, 06:42:35 PM

Some serious hoplites: