Oh my...Elite Dangerous:Horizons

Started by JudgeDredd, August 28, 2016, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbar

I like the change to cargo missions. It makes sense to do it this way so smaller ships can accept bigger missions or queue up several good ones. I'm not to crazy about the new "modes" for combat and exploration. I like the new exploration mechanic but wish they would auto switch the mode depending on the selected trigger. Pulling the trigger on a weapon and having a message pop up "You can't use that in this mode" is BAD UI design. Pointed it out in beta many times and now that it is the main build I am seeing confusion in the forum as to why weapons are disabled after being in FSS mode.

JasonPratt

Out of curiosity, did the planned expedition to the other side of the galaxy through the core ever work out?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mikeck

I believe one of the major changes was the astroid mining. Now you can fire up some different things into the astroid. Explosives to blow off chunks and even certain types of missles to drill in deep to the astroid detonate. You can also fire explosives into fault lines and if done correctly, break the astroid in half.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mbar

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 13, 2018, 11:45:18 AM
Out of curiosity, did the planned expedition to the other side of the galaxy through the core ever work out?

There was one a couple of years ago and the same leaders are planning another. I don't play that close attention to them.

JasonPratt

Quote from: mbar on December 13, 2018, 05:24:12 PM

There was one a couple of years ago and the same leaders are planning another. I don't play that close attention to them.

It's the one a couple of years ago I was thinking of.  :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 13, 2018, 06:22:15 PM
Quote from: mbar on December 13, 2018, 05:24:12 PM

It's the one a couple of years ago I was thinking of.  :)

I know many reached the center of our galaxy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_A*)

Yskonyn

Never done so before, but a few mates and I are going to participate in a big community event called Distant Worlds 2.
Each week we travel 5000 lightyears to reach the far side of the galaxy in the end where a community goal to build a space station will kick off!
Cool stuff!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

mikeck

How does one build a space station in Elite?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Huw the Poo

Quote from: mikeck on January 08, 2019, 01:31:51 PM
How does one build a space station in Elite?

There's no in-game mechanism for it.  Some player groups are officially recognised by Frontier, and the weekly community goals are sometimes requested by such groups, which Frontier accomodate.  This seems to be an extra special one, wherein one of the groups have requested a new space station on the other end of the galaxy.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong; I've been out of the loop for about six months now.

Kushan

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 08, 2019, 08:46:57 AM
Never done so before, but a few mates and I are going to participate in a big community event called Distant Worlds 2.
Each week we travel 5000 lightyears to reach the far side of the galaxy in the end where a community goal to build a space station will kick off!
Cool stuff!

Have fun on DW2! I had planned on going but got busy with work and forgot to prepare for it. Way to late for me to go now.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Yskonyn

Thanks guys!  :bd:

Yes the construction of the space station is a community goal inserted by Frontier.
Frontier is very much in contact with its community for these kinds of events. I was working with a much smaller outfit months back, but even smaller groups can file for their own faction with Frontier. That group got their own little faction to run as well.

There is often grumbling about events being only for a select few people who either happen to be at the right place at the right time or who are deeply involved in the community. While I can certainly understand the grumbling, I also feel that whenever you do get involved in such a custom event endorsed by Frontier, it gives an absolutely unique gaming experience on a scale not found much out there in gaming land.
The tailored events trump the generic gameplay on all accounts, but yes, it's not for everyone to experience unfortunately.

On another note, here's a tip for you VR astronauts:
Go into your Nvidia Control Panel and set Texture Filtering to High Quality instead of the default Quality option.
This will disable all optimalization and filtering options and present you with the sharpest image possible.
Many games will get micro stutters with this setting on (at least when using high resolutions on a monitor), but I haven't experienced any in Elite in VR yet with this setting and the world around you gets much much sharper, so try  it out!
If you do experience microstutters, lower it back to Quality.
In VR especially, this setting works wonders to get better images.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Pete Dero

HCS Voicepacks (to be used with Voiceattack !)

Celeste is one of our best selling voice packs.  For a limited time, you can purchase Celeste, for Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen, with a £10 OFF code.

Use the code "FIVER" at checkout to reduce the cost from £14.99 to just £5. So go grab yourselves a bargain and put this awesome voice in your ship right now!