Main Menu

OOTP 18 Announced

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 20, 2017, 10:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on March 19, 2018, 08:02:01 AM
Quote from: RedArgo on March 19, 2018, 07:59:16 AM
Also, on an unrelated note, when i type in this box it is seriously slow.  Sometimes the text doesn't show up for 15-20 seconds or more after I type.

You probably need to update Chrome

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=21695.0
I can confirm updating Chrome fixes the problem.
Alba gu' brath

PanzersEast

So, I finally started playing OOTP 2018 after buying 2016 and 2017 and never playing them.

I've played three seasons, simming most games except managing all the playoff games.  I'm running the Dodgers, so easy mode as far as finances go.

Seems like, and maybe I've just had bad luck, injuries are out of control.  Just in 2019, I lost 5 of my 7 starting pitchers to season ending injures either at the beginning of the season or by August at the latest.  My rotation going into the playoffs was Kenta Maeda, Lance Lynn, Andrew Cashner, Brock Stewart, and Ross Stripling.  At the beginning of the season I had Kershaw (missed the whole season), Darvish (missed the last couple months), Alex Wood (missed the last couple months, and is now out the whole 2020 season), Walter Buehler (missed the whole season), Julio Urias (missed the whole season).  Plus a bunch of every day players who missed significant time.  In 2020, Wood and Giancarlo Stanton went down for the whole season in spring training.

I know some of these guys are injury prone, but not all, and this just makes the game less fun.  I briefly looked for a way to tone down the injuries last night, but I didn't see it.  It seems to hit the AI too as by the time I get to the playoffs it is a bunch of AAA guys playing.

Have any one you guys has similar experience?

Anyway, in three seasons, lost in the WS to Houston, lost to the D-backs in the NLDS, and lost tot Houston in the WS.  Having fun despite the injuries.

Also, on an unrelated note, when i type in this box it is seriously slow.  Sometimes the text doesn't show up for 15-20 seconds or more after I type.

I have had the same experience, and sometimes they come in bunches.... and it makes you say WTF?  Fire the trainer!  I scale back the injuries because it seems disproportionate to me.  I also scale up the trade difficulty.   

RedArgo

I'll have to find the injury settings, hopefully it doesn't force me to start over.  Although, if I did, I think I'd go with a draft from scratch and even finances.  I'd just like to win the WS once before I start over.

Also, updating Chrome did the trick, thanks for the tip.  For some reason, I thought Chrome kept it self updated.

PanzersEast

Quote from: RedArgo on March 19, 2018, 09:06:55 AM
I'll have to find the injury settings, hopefully it doesn't force me to start over.  Although, if I did, I think I'd go with a draft from scratch and even finances.  I'd just like to win the WS once before I start over.

Also, updating Chrome did the trick, thanks for the tip.  For some reason, I thought Chrome kept it self updated.

You can update your current season without having to restart. 

Blucher

You need to set injuries to very low. It is a known issue that hopefully is fixed in OOTP 19. Anybody try the OOTP 19 beta yet?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Blucher on March 19, 2018, 01:44:36 PM
You need to set injuries to very low. It is a known issue that hopefully is fixed in OOTP 19. Anybody try the OOTP 19 beta yet?
I think the injury issue has been around a long time and I would be sceptical about any news it was going to be fixed in a new version...in other words, I'll believe it when it's actually reported by people.
Alba gu' brath

glen55

Can you save the game at any time?

I haven't played OOTP 18, but I dealt with a similar issue in the Front Office Football games. Just save the game frequently, and when somebody gets a major injury (say, longer than 30 days), roll a die/dice and run from backup if you get the wrong roll. You can eliminate anywhere from 1/6 to 5/6 of the injuries, depending on what rule you set up. Or from 5%-95% if you use a 20-sider, and if you don't own a 20-sider you're probably in the wrong forum!
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Grim.Reaper

I think injuries are interesting in sports games.....people find them less fun (especially if they happen to you) but I think people might be surprised how many injuries do happen in real life that teams do need to deal with.  But what I will agree on that does need to sometimes improve is the type of injury and severity.  From some past testing I did, the amount of injuries were pretty close to real life but the types/severity were at times questionable.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 19, 2018, 04:58:55 PM
I think injuries are interesting in sports games.....people find them less fun (especially if they happen to you) but I think people might be surprised how many injuries do happen in real life that teams do need to deal with.  But what I will agree on that does need to sometimes improve is the type of injury and severity.  From some past testing I did, the amount of injuries were pretty close to real life but the types/severity were at times questionable.
I should point out I have no idea if there was or wasn't an injury issue - I haven't played the game(s) enough nor do I have a full understanding of injuries IRL in baseball. I just know the "complaint" about injury frequency has been around for some time.
Alba gu' brath

sandman2575

Quote from: Blucher on March 19, 2018, 01:44:36 PM

Guys, not to be 'that guy,' but I hate to tell you, there's nothing broken about the injuries setting in OOTP. What is in need of some tweaking is the way injuries are handled, which is not always realistic. But the frequency of injuries is correct. 

Have you looked at a MLB roster come June 1? It's an infirmary. This is what the Red Sox roster looks like right now, in spring training:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/injuries/#team111

I put the setting for injuries on 'realistic' and think it works pretty well. I've tried injuries on lower settings, and it's just not convincing -- perfectly possible on the lower settings to see some teams with *nobody* on the DL at various points in the season, which is essentially ridiculous.

To me, dealing with injuries is half the fun (or maybe, "fun") of the game. What's the point of having a minor league system and free agency if most of your players are healthy most of the time?

What *does* bug me about injuries in OOTP is not the frequency of injuries on 'realistic' but the severity. It does feel sometimes like there are too many major injuries -- season ending-type -- and not enough "Day to Day" injuries. Actually I think there are not nearly enough DtD injuries in OOTP. In MLB, after a month or two, many if not most players are playing through some type of injury, however minor (back stiffness, etc.).

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 19, 2018, 04:58:55 PM

Gah. If I had read GR's post more carefully, I probably wouldn't have bothered to sound off, since he says pretty much exactly what I said....  ::)

RedArgo

Quote from: glen55 on March 19, 2018, 02:37:36 PM
if you don't own a 20-sider you're probably in the wrong forum!

Of course I have a 20-sider!

My problem with the injuries isn't the number of injuries, that seems okay, it is the long, many month injuries that seem pretty common.  Of course I could be totally wrong and they may be accurate too.  In any case, I turned down the injuries and I'll see how it goes.

Thanks all.

ArizonaTank

OOTP 19 releases March 22nd.  Can't wait!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

So, I finally started playing OOTP 2018 after buying 2016 and 2017 and never playing them.

I've played three seasons, simming most games except managing all the playoff games.  I'm running the Dodgers, so easy mode as far as finances go.

Seems like, and maybe I've just had bad luck, injuries are out of control. Just in 2019, I lost 5 of my 7 starting pitchers to season ending injures either at the beginning of the season or by August at the latest.  My rotation going into the playoffs was Kenta Maeda, Lance Lynn, Andrew Cashner, Brock Stewart, and Ross Stripling.  At the beginning of the season I had Kershaw (missed the whole season), Darvish (missed the last couple months), Alex Wood (missed the last couple months, and is now out the whole 2020 season), Walter Buehler (missed the whole season), Julio Urias (missed the whole season).  Plus a bunch of every day players who missed significant time.  In 2020, Wood and Giancarlo Stanton went down for the whole season in spring training.

That's been my biggest complaint about OOTP. 

The injury rates are huge; too high.  Even when you stop signing on players listed with sketchy injury histories, it's still a constant problem.  So much that I end up having to constantly move prospects up from the minors just to keep the rosters filled for games, and sending them back down at the end of the season when most of the injured get caught back up.  Makes the prospects' up/down contract limits wear off more quickly, and good pro players are sitting out large parts of the season. 

NFL levels of injury, with guys reguarly out for weeks & months.  :pullhair:  Which is probably where the default injury settings are most skewed.

I've not played the latest version of OOTP, but after looking up the injury debate on their forums, in a few previous versions, the devs (and a few players) seemed to like it just where it was.  So I don't expect the defaults will change.

Luckily there's an option to lower the injury frequency, buried down in the world options or whatever it's called.  I always lower that to somewhere around 70% of it's default.   Along with removing most of the dynamic league options at the start of a new league/campaign.  Otherwise you'll end up with some new pro team, based in an odd place like Butte, randomly being admitted to the league along with their horrible looking generic logos & such.   #:-)

Grim.Reaper

I don't know, still think people are under estimating the number of injuries in baseball...although I agree at times sometimes the severity might be a little off, take a look at the number of trips to the disabled list (when players are off more than just a couple of days) that happened last year.  I get it that some people don't think fun to make minor league transactions to keep rosters good, but that is baseball.