Hegemony III: Clash of the Ancients

Started by Millipede, June 30, 2018, 11:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millipede

I see Hegemony III available on GOG for $7.49 and I'm tempted. Any of you have comments, suggestions etc?

Nefaro

I still haven't played much yet, but if you liked the first one it gave a similar impression.  Although with a little more variety.

Millipede

Thanks for the reply Nefaro. I haven't played any version of Hegemony but it seemed kind of interesting and I wondered if it was worth $7.49 to find out if it offered anything original.

sandman2575

Very definitely worth $7.49; worth twice that without question.

The Hegemony games are sadly underrated, and Hegemony III is the best of the series, IMO. I have not poured a ton of hours into it, but it's a marvelous game. Love the completely fluid transition between the strategic and tactical layers. Love the overall visual style. It may play a little fast for my aging reflexes, but not impossibly so (also I think there is a mod that nerfs raiders).

Anyway, definitely pick it up if you're at all intrigued by the period and the way the game represents it. I don't think you'll regret it -- esp. at the give-away price of $7.49.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: sandman2575 on July 01, 2018, 10:47:45 AM
Very definitely worth $7.49; worth twice that without question.

The Hegemony games are sadly underrated, and Hegemony III is the best of the series, IMO. I have not poured a ton of hours into it, but it's a marvelous game. Love the completely fluid transition between the strategic and tactical layers. Love the overall visual style. It may play a little fast for my aging reflexes, but not impossibly so (also I think there is a mod that nerfs raiders).

Anyway, definitely pick it up if you're at all intrigued by the period and the way the game represents it. I don't think you'll regret it -- esp. at the give-away price of $7.49.
++++

I enjoy the Hegemony games a great deal.  For me they are best savored. Don't play as a frantic RTS game. Play hitting the pause button generously to soak it all in.  The gameplay is pretty tied to history.  Some real history lessons in there for $7
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Millipede

Okay, you've convinced me. Just downloaded but not sure when I'll actually start playing... hopefully tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the comments.

HoodedHorseJoe

I would add on a recommendation to pick the the 'Eagle King' DLC if it's also going cheap - it adds some cool features and campaigns to the game and rounds it out a bit.

But yes, H3 is a fun (if paced) logistics-based wargame.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

KR777

Well, I found this thread and it's as good as any to post some news re the topical game (no need to start a new thread I believe)  ;D

Just wanted to announce to all Hegemony players here around that there's a decently filled Fandom-Wiki for Hegemony 3 now:
https://hegemony.fandom.com/wiki/Hegemony_III:_Clash_of_the_Ancients_Wiki

It really has some nice content compared to what it was just a couple of months ago!  :clap:

CJReich46

Plus from what I've heard Longbow is at work for another DLC

The Isle of Giants which about the Nuragic tribes of Sardinia and Corsica.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

KR777

Quote from: CJReich46 on April 29, 2021, 08:51:44 PM
Plus from what I've heard Longbow is at work for another DLC

The Isle of Giants which about the Nuragic tribes of Sardinia and Corsica.
Yep :bd:, it can even already be wishlisted on Steam :smitten::
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351790/Hegemony_III_Isle_of_Giants/?l

Boggit

Quote from: ExWargamerJoe on July 02, 2018, 04:33:20 AM
I would add on a recommendation to pick the the 'Eagle King' DLC if it's also going cheap - it adds some cool features and campaigns to the game and rounds it out a bit.

But yes, H3 is a fun (if paced) logistics-based wargame.
I agree with Joe, the "Eagle King" DLC adds a lot to the game.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

al_infierno

Quote from: KR777 on April 28, 2021, 08:17:53 AM

Just wanted to announce to all Hegemony players here around that there's a decently filled Fandom-Wiki for Hegemony 3 now:
https://hegemony.fandom.com/wiki/Hegemony_III:_Clash_of_the_Ancients_Wiki

Thanks for this link, I have this game and Hegemony Gold but never put in more than 3 hours between the two because I bounced right off of it.  I reinstalled and ended up buying the Eagle King DLC, too O0

EDIT - Holy sh!t, this game rules... how did I never play this more sooner??
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

KR777

Quote from: al_infierno on May 02, 2021, 03:40:16 AM
Thanks for this link, I have this game and Hegemony Gold but never put in more than 3 hours between the two because I bounced right off of it.  I reinstalled and ended up buying the Eagle King DLC, too O0

EDIT - Holy sh!t, this game rules... how did I never play this more sooner??

You are welcome!  O0

KR777

There's a 75% discount at the moment for Hegemony 3 & Eagle King DLC as well as for the classic Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece on GOG.COM (summer sale)!  :wow:

https://www.gog.com/game/hegemony_iii_clash_of_the_ancients

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd