Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Well, despite going home early I ended up catching up on some other things first (including a nap ;) ), and then the internet got doshy.

But now I can resolve the finale to this Forum Phase!

I.I. and Malize decline to counterbribe, so AzTank goes for the 2d6. 8 or less wins (due to the evil omens)... and he rolls a 6+1. AzTank welcomes Terentius (and his 3 cash) to the Conservative faction!

This effectively ends the Forum Phase.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

TURN TEN -- POPULATION PHASE
--------------------------------------

All senators with Major Offices get a Major suspicion marker.

No Tax Farming Concessions are threatened (yet). And no Concessions need respawning.

Fabius in the Curia rolls a 5, which would normally respawn the family, but with the Evil Omens it adjusts down to 4. In effect, instead of 5 or 6 being good this turn, it's only a 6 which wins on the Curia rolls. (Because that adjusts down to a winning 5, and the Omen makes it impossible to truly roll a 6.)

The Calpurnican family rolls a 3.

Enemy Leaders have a chance of dying off, and up until recently y'all have been fortunate not to have to deal with Leaders for that reason! With the Omens active, only a 6 will end their careers early.

Philip of Macedonia rolls a 1. And Antiochus rolls a 5, but that adjusts down to a 4, so he survives.

There are no Drought effects running, and only one insufficiently-thus-Unprosecuted War: the 1st Punic. Therefore the basic Unrest taps up 1 to 1.

Field Consul Scipio Africanus of the Aristocrats is the Highest Ranking Available Officer, so he'll be Presiding Magistrate and give the Status Quo Res Publica to open the Senate.

The speech result will be his Pop 3 - 1 Unrest - 1 Evil Omens + 3d6 of 2+5+6 = 14: No Change.

This ends the Population Phase, and starts the Senate Phase.

Statesman Marcus Porcius Cato the Elder immediately steps up to act as a Tribune! -- but I'll get to that after snapshotting the mats for everyone.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

TURN TEN -- SENATE PHASE
------------------------

Unrest remains minimal at 1, for now. Evil Omens will continue haunting most rolls at -1 throughout the Turn.

The Republic currently has 95 Talents in its Treasury, and a normal income of 80 Talents next Turn.

There are 15 Legions Active, all in Rome, including two Veteran Legions with Level 1 training.

There are 7 Fleets Active, all Deployed against the 1st Punic War.

These 22 units will cost Rome 44 Talents next Turn.

Logistically, the Republic can field another 5 Legions, and another 13 Fleets -- at 10 Talents each to Raise.

Here's a snapshot of the military situation:

(The code is correct, but the snapshot isn't showing up for me yet.)

There are three Active Wars, including the technically Unprosecuted 1st Punic War, against which Manlius of the Militarists has been Deployed with the remaining 7 Fleets. The Enemy Leader Hamilcar is boosting the Punic War, including its D/S results; but unless he's Defeated on the Land Battle the Spolia Opima Event won't trigger yet.

(Two other Enemy Leaders are making their preparations, but won't factor into the coming Combat Phase.)

Next up, mat snapshots and evaluations.

JasonPratt

(My access to Imageshack continues to be a bit dodgy; unsure if other readers will be having problems.)

Well, I mean, duh. I.I.'s Aristocrats continue leading the Republic as the most powerful Faction -- for now. It isn't hard to see why, and that normal vote tally will be solidly juiced by their knights being inspired by Aristocrat senators leading in total Influence. Their only real weakness, paradoxically, is their strength, since this will be seen as a threat to the stability of the Republic!

I debated a little about whom to evaluate in 2nd Place, but the one serious weakness -- a reduced vote tally -- only comes because Faction Leader (and recent Roman Consul) Manlius is out in the field seeking Republican Glory. As the military threats to the Republic approach crisis levels, the Militarists can be expected to continue benefitting from their martial focus.

The Frog's Plutocrats continue shadowing 1st and 2nd place, with increasingly strong senators, a good spending economy (as might be expected), and no less than four Faction cards he's been largely sitting on all game -- which could come into play at several opportune but unknown moments! He hasn't built up the momentum recently of the top two Factions, and even has slipped a little thanks to former-PontMax Acilius (and his Faction overall) falling prey to the Evil Omens of this Turn. But the Frog has proven to be a cagey political operator. The only question is, when will he see fit to make his next move?

It looked for a while like AzTank's Conservatives, despite stolid attempts at retrenching their position, would be permanently passed by the upwardly mobile progress of the Progressives. But the Conservatives have plodded back into a solid 5th place, and are becoming more politically relevant again, not least thanks to two strong Statesmen recently joining. Whether their position is being helped, hurt, or both, by a staunch refusal to distribute much of the Faction cash, could be debated.

After some initial bad luck, Malize's Populists have boosted themselves into being a voting powerhouse, courted by every block, and is starting to land some Major Offices. Their overall Influence remains low, thanks to some lingering bad luck in past turns (and a late start, like the Progressives); and cash continues to be thin -- but that's partly thanks to efficient spending habits! The new Fabian Statesman Verrucosus Cuncator, joins Cato the Freaking Elder (now Faction Leader), as the new punchy fists of the Faction, one in the Senate, and one on the field. The Populists aren't likely to be dropping below 4th place anytime soon.

If it wasn't for bad luck, Erax's Progressives might have no luck at all! The Kindly Ones got tired of his Faction Leader bouncing back naked after being taken, and... um... took someone they could keep for a while...

Look, I didn't make up these myths, okay?! Ahem. Depending on what stance they take, the Progressives are punchier voters; and it should be noted that the current Flaminius has managed to buff himself up to being nearly a candidate for Consul-for-Life. But overall, Progressives remain in 6th place.

With that done, I'll need to work on my internet connections somewhat before returning to process the Tribune Proposal of Cato the Elder -- who has jumped in with an initial Consul Proposal!

JasonPratt

Okay, internet is.... more or less improved: continuing on.

Cato the Elder, of the Populists, who himself also holds Tribune office (a liaison to the Senate elected directly by the people), uses his Tribune ability for the Turn, to immediately Propose a pair of Consuls!

.......at which point I have to pause, because I don't know who the Consul nominations for this Proposal are. I know what Factions they're supposed to come from -- from the Populists and from the Aristocrats -- but I don't know who yet.

Consequently, if I.I.'s Cornelius Scipio Africanus, who is the actual Presiding Magistrate right now, manages to make a SPECIFIC Consul Proposal first, I'll process votes for that first. (Or technically, anyone else's Tribune I suppose.)

It doesn't have to be about who will be Roman and Field Consuls specifically. But it does have to be about specific senators.  O:-)

IncompetentIdiot

I will nominate Quinctius (Aristocrat) and Flaminius (Progressive).

Ethel the Frog

malize

Cato proposes Fabius and Macedonicus

Voting against Quinticus/Flaminius

Erax

We vote against Quinctius/Flaminius (does this get me points for voting against my own senator)?

Ethel the Frog

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on January 19, 2019, 08:33:21 AM
We vote against Quinctius/Flaminius (does this get me points for voting against my own senator)?

Yep!  O0

I'm off at work this morning (Saturday) doing final end-of-year processing. Praying hard. (We have an old cobbled-together remnant manufacturing accounting system and I'm always hugely worried something will go catastrophically wrong. Because in the past things have sometimes gone catastrophically wrong.  :hide: I have developed a checklist flowchart procedure over the years which a submariner would probably think approaches adequacy!)

IncompetentIdiot

Voting order for remaining factions (if I can still declare one) will be Conservatives, Militarists, Aristocrats.

JasonPratt

It's fine for Players to announce ahead of time whether they'll support Cato's Proposal, but Scipio did make a specific Proposal first, and so I'll have to resolve that first!

In order to sort out the snarl, everyone should make sure they've explicitly voted about Scipio's (I.I.'s) Proposal.

If that fails, I'll process Cato's (Malize's) Tribune proposal automatically, according to private chats I'm privy to; but if you don't agree with Cato's actual senators you should speak up promptly to avoid an automatic procession from that conspiracy!

(Also, "Year End Process Complete". Which it isn't entirely yet, but...  <:-)  :notworthy: )

JasonPratt

Quote from: IncompetentIdiot on January 19, 2019, 12:55:33 PM
Voting order for remaining factions (if I can still declare one) will be Conservatives, Militarists, Aristocrats.

Yep, that can still be declared, since it doesn't overlap/contradict prior explicit voting, and since you didn't already explicitly declare an order.

JasonPratt

AzTank declares by p-mail that the Conservatives will be voting against the Aristocrat Proposal.

That leaves Tripoli and then I.I. to vote.

Current tallies:

The Frog: -16 votes (no activists)
Malize: -25 votes (no activists)
Erax: -7 -4 activist votes
(Note: Erax voted against his own gain, too, and each of his senators has at least one knight to trigger activism; so each of his senators will gain 4 Influence win or lose! -- including if Flaminius ends up being Consul from this Proposal after all! This is arguably the ideal Progressive situation.  :coolsmiley:)

subtotal: -52

AzTank's vote: -14 -4 activist votes

subtotal: -70 votes, against the current Consul Proposal.

If you're wondering why I don't just call it for the opposition right now... well, we'll see.  :o