Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Anguille on October 04, 2016, 09:49:50 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 04, 2016, 09:22:20 AM
I've said it before, but for me, the single over-riding factor that makes PS so enjoyable and so unique is the manner in which it manages to capture the epic thrills of running an intergalactic empire. No other game has achieved such an overwhelming sense of scale and scope in terms of time and space. It takes years to build spacecraft, to move them across the stars, to reach new worlds and colonize them, to research advanced technologies...it takes years and the great expenditure of sums of money, minerals and manpower to construct invasion fleets and ground forces, to stage them, and send them into the void to successfully invade an enemy.  A loss of such a fleet can be truly devastating and set plans back decades or more.  Wars can frequently span centuries! This is how I believe space warfare will be, and how it should be depicted in a grand space 4x game.   

Also, because technology takes so long to research, and because so many of the technologies are interesting, unique and effective, I feel like the late game never really stagnates. I am always unlocking a new technology that opens up new strategies and new ship and combat capabilities.
I like the way you describe it and it sounds really cool.

The main reason i haven't bought it yet (but will at some point) are the limitations in the victory conditions.

I feel like I know your gaming tastes pretty well and I must say, it is simply a CRIME that you do not have this game in your library yet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

I know, i know....and you're right!  :coolsmiley:

It's just that there too many games to play and too many space 4x coming out this year! :crazy2:

FarAway Sooner

So, after 80+ hours of playing time on Steam, I'm still loving the game.  Ship design is a fun puzzle-solver, tactical combat is far better than anything I've seen in a space 4x (and nicely incorporates ship design), and the economic mechanics are clean enough that they let you focus on building huge fleets and conquering stuff.

But I'm struggling with the research system, and I'm wondering if anybody's figured out an angle to it that I'm missing.

I LOVE the innovative aspects of the system.  It's different, but it also feels much more satisfying and realistic than the traditional Civ-1 research method.  I just can't figure out how to drive meaningful and differentiated game results by tweaking my tech research.  And using the "focus all my research on discovering this one invention" functionality strips all that cool stuff away.

To clarify:  I understand how it works. 

But even using the Technology Planner tool that they've provided, I find my mind just gets boggled with all the combinations and permutations, and the trade-offs.  Aside from nailing down a few key technologies in the early game (Ocean Platforms, Atmospheric Domes, Heavy Ion Guns, Missile Traps) and early mid-game (Frigates, better Generators, shields), I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing so I just research everything.

I understand that weighting your research more heavily towards Basic Research rather than Applied Sciences opens up more powerful Applied Sciences later on.  But all I really know how to do is tweak my sliders and put the game on cruise control.

Has anybody figured out how to make the research system work for them?

Tpek

The whole Theoretical/Applied research isn't actually innovative.
The Space Empires series (one of the best space 4x series ever made) already had it.

Sparhawk

The Space Empires research connection was one of the first things I noticed about Polaris Sector. I feel its a satisfactory way of doing research, though after a 100 hours of game play I feel the same way- I really can't put together a coherent plan of research other than the shotgun approach. Maybe a more refined like skeet approach.

OJsDad

Well, I purchased.  Just need to wait 8-9 hours to play.  So I won't get to play until tomorrow night.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

FarAway Sooner

Interesting that Space Empires had the same approach.  It feels like a good system.

But, with 2-4 different prerequisites required for almost every invention, there are just too damn many combinations and permutations for me to manage beyond the first 100 years of the game.  Combine that with the fact that the Applied Science names aren't terribly intuitive (e.g., "Islands of Stability" vs "Subspace Physics" vs "Antimatter" are the shortest path to which inventions?), and I simply find myself at sea.

Anybody else solve this one, or just spam the research and enjoy blowing stuff up?

MikeGER

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on November 24, 2016, 02:02:35 AM
Applied Science names aren't terribly intuitive (e.g., "Islands of Stability" vs "Subspace Physics" vs "Antimatter" are the shortest path to which inventions?)

there are not intuitive for a layman because the terms are straight from actual ongoing real world science!
(and its common science/engineering/SiFi "geek"-knowledge which practical technology fallout (hopefully) comes in their wake) 

"Islands of Stability" for example is a presumed area in the periodic table where very heavy elements with high atomic number Z are 'stable' again, which means they have a very long half life (like Uranium)

elements with high order number absorb x-ray radiation better and have a high density which can be used either in kinetic-projectiles or in compound armor plating (see Uran) in our existing technology.... and there are maybe much more applications depending on the characteristics of those elements (from catalyst to doping of semiconductors, you name it)

the terms is already so mainstream that is has a lengthy textbook-style google entry 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_stability

IMHO its a strongpoint and adds to the quality and flavor of Polaris Sectors that you not research maybe a "Super Uranium"  leading to "strong armor"  and "good space cannon"

Rayfer

Quote from: MikeGER on November 24, 2016, 02:58:06 AM
Applied Science names aren't terribly intuitive (e.g., "Islands of Stability" vs "Subspace Physics" vs "Antimatter" are the shortest path to which inventions?)

there are not intuitive for a layman because the terms are straight from actual ongoing real world science!
(and its common science/engineering/SiFi "geek"-knowledge which practical technology fallout (hopefully) comes in their wake) 

"Islands of Stability" for example is a presumed area in the periodic table where very heavy elements with high atomic number Z are 'stable' again, which means they have a very long half life (like Uranium)

elements with high order number absorb x-ray radiation better and have a high density which can be used either in kinetic-projectiles or in compound armor plating (see Uran) in our existing technology.... and there are maybe much more applications depending on the characteristics of those elements (from catalyst to doping of semiconductors, you name it)

the terms is already so mainstream that is has a lengthy textbook-style google entry 

IMHO its a strongpoint and adds to the quality and flavor of Polaris Sectors that you not research maybe a "Super Uranium"  leading to "strong armor"  and "good space cannon"

So, I need a doctorate in physics to understand the tech tree?  Sorry MikeGER, I couldn't resist.   :hide:

MikeGER

Quote from: Rayfer on November 24, 2016, 07:25:11 AM
So, I need a doctorate in physics to understand the tech tree?  Sorry MikeGER, I couldn't resist.   :hide:

no its enuf if you read in the daily newspapers once a while other things then only sports, celebrity and the cartoon  ^-^
and adding a little bit Scientific American to the read doesn't hurt too.

At least Polaris Sector doesn't force the player to do the theoretical physics calculations himself to unlock the new tech.  :peace:

vyshka

Quote from: Rayfer on November 24, 2016, 07:25:11 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on November 24, 2016, 02:58:06 AM

I think what Rayfer is trying to say is ...

Tpek

So for those who us who are lazy/time-restrained to read it all,
Is it worth it for 40% off or should I wait for more patches/content and/or a bigger sale?

Barthheart

Get it now. It's tons of fun. Combat is great. Time scale is something that I think all other space 4x games miss completely.

mikeck

Quote from: Tpek on November 24, 2016, 11:49:16 AM
Is it worth it for 40% off or should I wait for more patches/content and/or a bigger sale?

Get it. All things considered, I think it's the all around best space 4x out of the new batch
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

Quote from: Tpek on November 24, 2016, 11:49:16 AM
Grab it.  The combat system is great, colony management is well-done, and the research system is pretty neat.  And since it's a Slitherine title, 40% off is about as cheap as the game is likely to get anytime soon. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces