Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanaka

mikeck

JH, I think you have played this and Moo4 a lot...or at least enough to get some impressions. Are there things that Moo4 does better besides graphics? My gaming time is limited and I hate sitting down to learn a game that ends up being dull
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 10, 2016, 12:05:00 PM
JH, I think you have played this and Moo4 a lot...or at least enough to get some impressions. Are there things that Moo4 does better besides graphics? My gaming time is limited and I hate sitting down to learn a game that ends up being dull

Moo4 is a decent game, but it will not hold your attention like Polaris sector. It's not nearly as layered or complex and it takes virtually no risks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

As a space 4x addict,  I really find fascinating how Polaris Sector has been such a hit here while so many other 4x have interested only a few among us....i look forward to play it as well.

Tanaka

One big tip to destroy fighters. Turn your ship broadsides and their lasers will tear fighters to pieces! If your ship is facing forward with the big guns you will be ripped apart. I love how facing matters in this game! So cool! Also love the experience system!

ghostryder

The game's not perfect and exploring isn't all that exciting, this is more about war. Design and try how you do. And Thankfully the A.I. is more than happy to challenge you. The depth is the strategic war you wage , not so much research or planets---the latter is very simple and the former is pretty much small increments of your last tech--though things turn fun once you get IR lazers- but even once you've run the tech tree empty you can't really build super ships--it's still tough choices and even with the best generators researched 3/4 of you available space will be used up by them just so you can mount a lazer and a warp prohibitor.

Sparhawk

Does anyone who is familiar with Space Empires IV get a similar feel with Polaris Sector? To me it has a strikingly similar gameplay obviously numerous generations ahead of the old classic.

mikeck

Quote from: ghostryder on April 11, 2016, 08:44:20 PM
The game's not perfect and exploring isn't all that exciting, this is more about war. Design and try how you do. And Thankfully the A.I. is more than happy to challenge you. The depth is the strategic war you wage , not so much research or planets---the latter is very simple and the former is pretty much small increments of your last tech--though things turn fun once you get IR lazers- but even once you've run the tech tree empty you can't really build super ships--it's still tough choices and even with the best generators researched 3/4 of you available space will be used up by them just so you can mount a lazer and a warp prohibitor.

I agree. I really like that even once your into the really advanced areas of tech, you STILL have to specialize ships. As enemy ships get better shields and armor, you need better weapons and vice versa. Better weapons mean more power which means more generators. The end result is that you still can't build a huge ship with max shields, armor, beams and missiles with sensors and long range. You can't. I still need dedicated anti-fighter frigates, offensive anti-capital ship destroyers and support ships loaded with sensors and warp prohibitors. Every fleet has a scout ship with stealth and sensors to scout the planet.

The largest ships are my troop ships. It's nice to play a game where the end result isn't a "final" super ship that you build as many of as possible and steamroll
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

ghostryder

Does anyone who is familiar with Space Empires IV get a similar feel with Polaris Sector? To me it has a strikingly similar gameplay obviously numerous generations ahead of the old classic.

The ship design is similar but what you can design is very different. Here it's engine, weapon....and if you want good armor your have to delete some engine power or weapon power. Want a shield? Again your have to lessen something to add it. Space Empires on the other hand lets you include it all- until your building planet killers and artifical planets 100x larger than Earth. It's hard to spam huge fleets as well as the upkeep depends on resources. My games always end up with me making a fast rush for planets until I meet other races. Then it sqeeze through their borders a little if I'm lucky enough to have researched Gas planet colinization and they haven't. Sometimes their get before you do---but if you colonize within thier borders (their borders are outlined in the races colors) that could start a war.

One tactic I use is to build stealth colonizers to move to empty areas beyond them and colonize those planets. As long as theres no race colors covering the planet you can colonize without any downside. You have to manually do this as the A.I. will not send colonizers past enemy borders even if the colonizers are built. You have to manually load them then go to the system.

These planets need to be kept up with defenses once they get some industry points. A battle station is good too. As these planets--and the planet screen will warn you- are in danger of invasion.

republic

As far as I can tell, if a system is cut off from you by a hostile holding a system in-between there is still trade going on between that 'cut off' system and your empire.  Even if there are no star lanes other than through the hostile system.  Am I wrong on this? 

mikeck

Quote from: republic on April 12, 2016, 09:14:35 AM
As far as I can tell, if a system is cut off from you by a hostile holding a system in-between there is still trade going on between that 'cut off' system and your empire.  Even if there are no star lanes other than through the hostile system.  Am I wrong on this?
No your right

solops

The new patch is OUT!! Not big, but very welcome.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

mikeck

Quote from: solops on April 13, 2016, 06:30:42 PM
The new patch is OUT!! Not big, but very welcome.

Am I correct in that it is just the official release of the already existing Beta?

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

It has a slightly different id though... beta was 1.03b... new patch is 1.03c....  ???