Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldsboro

The good way to take planets is via diplomacy. You first destroy space defence and then propose peace with the condition of transferring all blockaded planets.

Or you can first destroy defending ground forces with your spies.

mikeck

You can bomb planets and take them easily...only thing is- as you found out- every other race will instantly have a negative relation. Worse, in my game, the aliens that were very friendly with me and with whom I had a trade, exploration and research treaty, not only had an instant negative relation, but allied with the guys I was at war with!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

solops

Quote from: goldsboro on April 02, 2016, 12:55:32 PM
The good way to take planets is via diplomacy.
Now, where's the fun in that?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 02, 2016, 12:09:36 PM
Speaking of invasions, has anyone launched one? How does it all work?

You load transports with a mix of troops, fly to the target and unload them. They fight. I had one fight where I dropped 4 transport loads, each transport held 7000 troops, on the planet and was told I faced twenty years of a losing battle. So, for the next 5 or 6 years I shuttled troops in with those transports from nearby planets where I was building them as fast as I could. I have had several attacks go like this. And I lost one or two fights where an enemy fleet intervened and drove off my covering forces. Taking a planet can be a huge investment.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Barthheart

And it should be a huge undertaking. Just think of every invasion Earth movie ever.....  ;)

Ian C

Game of the year for me so far. I know a game is pretty damn good when I start making notes in a dedicated notepad.

bbmike

Quote from: Ian C on April 02, 2016, 06:12:15 PM
Game of the year for me so far. I know a game is pretty damn good when I start making notes in a dedicated notepad.

Funny you should mention that! I was just thinking about doing that for my next game. I think it would draw me into the game even more.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Anguille

bbmike

Anguille, you would like this game.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Quote from: bbmike on April 02, 2016, 06:38:58 PM
Quote from: Ian C on April 02, 2016, 06:12:15 PM

Funny you should mention that! I was just thinking about doing that for my next game. I think it would draw me into the game even more.

WITP in space?

ghostryder

The game's beginning to grow on me, presenting me with numerous problems. My early expansion only led me to one earthlike---afraid I'd fall behind in research because I hadn't even come across an ocean planet I picked research focus on the earthlike planet--problem was once the population expanded on all those desert planets I began to have negative food---and though my stores had nearly 90 million units the loss began to grow rapidly--first 100k, then 120k, 150k, each month it just kept getting worse. My 90 millions stores were soon at 80 million and dropping fast.

The neat thing is one of my scouts spotted a GIA planet...whoppeee! The only trouble was it had 80 fighters guarding it. It wasn't colonized but in order for me to to i had to take out those fighters---the problem was I still had no military--and building just 1 carrier and 1 strike frigate along with the needed refueler to reach the planet would take nearly 30 years. My food would be gone by then--not to mention it would take 20 years for my fleet to travel there even after i built it. All nearby planets were so young trying to build a fleet with those was 100 plus years. I had no choice but to go to my starter planet and nuke the "balanced" and focus on food---this of course killed the industry and research there and set me back but it was better than mass starvation I suppose?

I think the time scale is what sets the game apart from other 4x games. i've never been so aware of the 'time' factor in any other 4x game zans this one. Building a huge Armada can take 100s of years---and even upgrading them as new research comes online can take almost as long. What it does effectively then is restricts the player from making huge stacks of doom fleets and steamrolling through the game---

Engine, energy and fuel tanks are serious upgrades---once you get them you just have to upgrade everything as travel distance and time is so greatly increased. I always have a solar generator on my fueling ship-and it can sit 20 years in a spot refueling before my fleet can go on to the next star. So early on even though they are a drain I build on dwarf planets just for fueling purposes although I have yet researched any military installations.

Being lucky to come across 2 or 3 earthlikes alone with a couple ocean planets can be a huge boost--not doing so in my latest game has arisen major challenges which are fun to deal with because they are all tough choices. Killing all those research and factories on that starter planet to grow some corn made me sweep ---

FarAway Sooner

Man, ou guys have me seriously jonesing for this game!  Must resist, must resist...

Grim.Reaper

I think they are secret agents from silterine playing mind games with us to purchase:)

Really does sound like something to buy....

goldsboro

The developed has promised to allow naming fleets...

vyshka

My first wormhole experience was entertaining. I didn't realize they could be 1 way only, so my scout ends up on the other side of the galaxy with no way back. Then next system over they find another, and we proceed to lost contact. RIP brave souls.