Battletech Campaign - gauging interest, come and take a look inside!

Started by Yskonyn, June 26, 2013, 08:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Kurita gets to be the house that not only doest give a crap but has the military to pull it off.
4 mechs a lance
4 lances a company  16
4 companies a battalion  64
4 battalions a regiment  256
There was nothing bigger in the origal rule set IIRC.

Going on memory the clans went by 5s.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

republic

This will be fun to watch.  I've always wanted to get into Battletech but never had anyone local to try it with.

Yskonyn

You can always join in, Republic!
If you do not have the rulebooks, all introductory rulebooklets are available for free on bg.battletech.com to get you up and running.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

GDS_Starfury

I have to admit that the Clan Wars stuff kind of ruined the whole thing for me.  it just seemed to get silly from there on out.  as a youngster I watched all the Japanese anime I could get my hands on.  it didnt bother me a bit that the original BT game 'borrowed' all there best designs.  the FASA generated stuff was pretty meh IMHO.  gimmi mai Warhammers and Marauders any day.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

republic

Other than playing the games since Mechwarrior 2 and reading a few books, I'm completely clueless.  Plus I have a baby due any day so I can't really commit until we are back home with Republic Jr.  :)

MetalDog

Congrats, Republic!  Awesome news!!  Maybe you should post that in a thread more than six people will ever look in ;)  Maybe even get some unsolicited fatherly advice :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

somewhere in a box I have bunches of these in 1/144 scale.  we used to use my friends dads pool table for gaming.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

Yskonyn

Oh wow, Republic! CONGRATULATIONS! I hope everything is going well so far with Mother and her baby in her belly?
Our little one is now 7 months old. Its a great thing to be a dad!

GDS, you have ancient BT stuff there! Cool! When it still was called Battledroids. That is some cool stuff for a collector.

What exactly is your gripe with the Clan Wars stuff? The technology being introduced or you find the storyline silly?

My introduction to the franchise was with the PC game Mechwarrior 2 And its expansion. So all the Clan stuff is pretty natural for me. I am not bothered by it at all.
The thing I find hard to keep track off are the myriad of so called Prototypes in the post Jihad era. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

GDS_Starfury

I think the story world got silly.  I also think that the whole lost tech aspect of the universe made a gamer think more about tactics and far less about tech and all the modifiers.  if anything I would have liked the game to have gone backwards in its own history instead of forward.  I dont know if you know about them but there were quite a few novels written that were fun to read.  hell,  somewhere I have a  Black Widows comic book.

GDS_Starfury

some of the more obscure shows that FASA stole from.
remember this drop ship?

from Crusher Joe.

and the original scout mech:

also Crusher Joe.

bayonetbrant

I had the original BattleDroids box back in high school.  Someone along the way, the box got ruined, but I salvaged the contents.  In the early 2000s, I gave most of it to a friend and former employee who was a huge BT fanboi, and hadn't really missed it.  Without the box, it's just a bunch of 'stuff' and not a lot of collectible value...

And I just recently re-read Decision at Thunder Rift - William H Keith's original BT novel.  The original Gray Death Legion trilogy was good fun and among the better BT novels ever released.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Yskonyn

A small update; I am busy working on the specifics of the campaign.
It might be a bit later than the timeframe I posted earlier. Perhaps a kickoff in the War of 3039 is a nice starting point?

Also, I am looking at if and how I could setup a MekWars server to run the campaign in. The big advantage of MekWars is that it already has a complete campaign management feature built in which directly ties into the MegaMek portion of the tactical battles.

I am getting shown the ins and outs of the system a bit later tonight.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces