Codeword Cromwell: The German Invasion of England, 8 June 1940

Started by weateallthepies, June 10, 2014, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weateallthepies

Oh I forgot there is an infiltrator things too, where you have to try and reveal the German operative that has infiltrated the village of Birkham stokes where the game takes place.

Staggerwing

It looks like you can't order Codename Cromwell right now. The preorder option at the dev's web site is closed and Noble Knight games (rumored to be the USA distributor) doesn't even list it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

weateallthepies

Yes the pre-orders sold out pretty quickly. I think some people have been contacting Noble Knight directly to enquire so you might have some luck there.

It's not going to be cheap for US folk though, kind of the same deal we get for most wargames once shipping and local taxes are taken into account. We don't get many that are published in the UK so it makes a change, but it wasn't cheap even here. Still you should see how much we have to pay for some games, Victory Point Games stuff is stupidly expensive in comparison to what you can get it for.

Rekim

Quote from: TacticalWargames on June 12, 2014, 06:22:25 PM
Made by the same people who did that Falklands War Solitaire game which is supposed to be fantastic.

I just wish they would publish their games in larger batches. I would love to add Where There Is Discord to my collection...without taking a second mortgage. The only copy of it on eBay at the moment is listed at $250, which is typical AFAIK.

This new title looks promising. Expect it also will be difficult to source. Never heard of a publisher running out of pre-orders before!?!

weateallthepies

Sorry my fault, they did this one a little different, I was wrong saying they sold out preorders. They kept taking them until a point when they closed the preorder and started going to print. It wasn't up for preorder for a huge amount of time though.

It's a very small business I think so they don't tend to do print runs of anything that would leave them with unsold stock. I'd love a copy of Discord but they've done three printings of it now so there is a chance there will be another. Still it would be nice if they were more readily available, I know quite a few people who would like a copy of Lost Battles too.

Nefaro

Quote from: Rekim on June 12, 2014, 07:20:04 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on June 12, 2014, 06:22:25 PM
Made by the same people who did that Falklands War Solitaire game which is supposed to be fantastic.

I just wish they would publish their games in larger batches. I would love to add Where There Is Discord to my collection...without taking a second mortgage. The only copy of it on eBay at the moment is listed at $250, which is typical AFAIK.

I've only ever seen it for re-sale at that price, if you see it at all.

This is the kind of stuff that can be so frustrating with tabletop gaming, for me.  It has become so popular that even new releases are being sold out in little time.  It is tough for me to grapple with, after spending my youth going to the same stores and having all the games available for sale, on the shelves for years.

While their games can be pricey, I like Victory Point Games 'print on demand' model.  I know that I can order something from them and not have to worry about the majority of their catalog being Out Of Print.  I feel really rushed to buy anything new from other publishers that I'm interested in, just because I know that if it's any good then the game in question will be sold out in short order and people will be jacking the price up on 3rd party copies.  Not a fan of feeling forced to purchase them ASAP.  :-\

bayonetbrant

Well, there's a reason the game companies that used to keep those stores stocked ended up out of business  :-\

It would be nice to keep those games around, or at least have a second run of them.  But I know how awful those printing costs can be, and how thin the margins can be.  So there's some sympathy for the publisher that they haven't just run right out to republish everything.
Kickstarter has helped take away some of those uncertainties, but it hasn't eliminated them
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: weateallthepies on June 12, 2014, 05:45:41 PM
OK not had much chance to really get into it but a quick (not great) shot of the thing set up for play:

I can't be the only one looking at that and wondering if someone's going to release a home-made "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" mod, can I?  >:D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers