Falklands Game

Started by JudgeDredd, November 05, 2013, 05:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 07, 2013, 10:43:08 AM
I have the final version of Harpoon...but as much as I tried to get into it (which knowing me wasn't that hard!), it just never clicked with me.

It's rules set isn't the easiest to learn.  The organization of the rules in H4 seems more scattered than the old v3 ones from GDW and those weren't always the clearest either.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Man, I went round and round with the dev of Where There Is Discord years ago. They said they sent me a review copy, weeks go by and it doesn't arrive, and follow up emails go ignored. I even, a few years later, contacted one of the designers on BGG, whom said he'd forward my message, and poof, no reply after that. WTF?!?

avrotim

Mrs. thatcher's War by White Dog Games is close to publication. 

http://www.whitedoggames.com/falklands
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Just looked at it.  Nice cover, decent map, counters uglier than an incestuous West Virginia meth-addicted backside-of-the-mountain high school dropout.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

That red background for the Brit counters is a bit much.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Tim's cover art is very nice.

Barthheart

Hmmm... has a PnP options...might get that if the price is reasonable.

Arctic Blast

Will it come with a discount to an optometrist once those British counters finish ruining my vision?

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on October 05, 2017, 12:51:10 PM
That red background for the Brit counters is a bit much.

It's not so much the color red as the loose white flash around the Harrier graphics.  :hide:

Pinetree

A little snippet I found on Carl Fung's blog at BGG:

QuoteAnd in a reply on Facebook, the reply under MMP said: "Some of the topics look very interesting (Goose Green?) - we hope it works out too." Goose Green is my submission that I sent to Lee Forester years ago. It's on the fight at that location in the Falklands War in 1982. Yup, TCS goes modern and British Paras against Argentine conscripts.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

avrotim

Ben the game designer did up the graphics for Mrs Thatchers War counters, so they don't have quite the same style as the maps.  I did make up some colorized images of the planes (but not the choppers) for him as his originals were simply black and white.  He did ask me if I was interested in making up all the counter art too but when he asked I was really swamped with other work and had to say no.

the game has now been released, BTW.
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

mirth

Quote from: avrotim on October 19, 2017, 08:48:30 AM

$43 US seems entirely reasonable and I'd consider getting it to support a Falklands game, but a month or more for the shipping time is a bit long to wait.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on October 19, 2017, 08:57:52 AM
Quote from: avrotim on October 19, 2017, 08:48:30 AM

$43 US seems entirely reasonable and I'd consider getting it to support a Falklands game, but a month or more for the shipping time is a bit long to wait.

Like you don't have a bazillion other games still in shrink to play.  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak