I see you FRIDAY, shakin’ that ass

Started by Jarhead0331, February 26, 2021, 07:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

No worries Carl, I picked up The Division season pass last year on sale some time so I have all the DLCs too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

I'll dial it back now, but I'm all fangirly for the Division.  Weirdly so for a middle-aged man.

Gusington

I wasn't going to say anything  :nerd:

I kid!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

nelmsm

Well mostly yardwork on Saturday but on Sunday it will time to knock out all the PBEM turns I have in my inbox and the time to take the new Imperator Rome patch out for a spin.

Boggit

PBEM with Nelmsm
PBEM FoG x3
SP HOI4
SP Combat Mission
SP FoG2 and FoG Medieval

Some Armored Brigade, Rimworld and Fantasy General Evolution time permitting... might even fire up Steel Division 2 for a first try thanks to Dammit Carl, Destraex and Gus talking about it.

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

^Not Steel Division 2, Tom Clancy's The Division 2

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

Quote from: Boggit on February 26, 2021, 06:18:52 PM
PBEM with Nelmsm
PBEM FoG x3
SP HOI4
SP Combat Mission
SP FoG2 and FoG Medieval

Some Armored Brigade, Rimworld and Fantasy General Evolution time permitting... might even fire up Steel Division 2 for a first try thanks to Dammit Carl, Destraex and Gus talking about it.
Boggit as per above I think most of the others are talking about Tom Clancy's first person shooter Division 2. I am certainly talking about Steel Division 2 though and if you own it; would thoroughly recommend you fire it up, choose a division and create a deck. Then try a skirmish game against very easy AI with that deck. I know a few of us here are sympathetic to Steel Division 2. I am though fairly crazy about it. Because I have 4 friends that play it. It's kinda common ground for us. Not too gamey and not too long winded and complicated. Enough action and fun to be like a computerised tabletop game with all the advantages a computer brings (real time and explosions etc).

Love to hear your thoughts on it if you do play.

Here is a picture of me using a tool to show distance (blue line), hit chance and penetration chance from a Panther A to an Emcha (Russian Sherman tank). I am also using the line of sight tool. All of that red stuff is what the Panther cannot see. You can see the emcha has a red bar above it's icon, this is it's level of suppression thus far, it must have been hit a bit as it seems to be fairly full. The Black Crosses on the german icons represent they are level 1 veterancy, which can be increase by one cross if a leader is nearby. It is a major choice when creating a deck to decide whether to take veterancy or not on your unit cards. You get less units in each card and sometimes are not able use those units in earlier phases with veterancy.

The red and the blue lines that are together around the Panthers indicate the Panthers are surrounded and therefore they will be much more easily suppressed and more likely to surrender if enemy units are very very close. In other words unless they have the immunity effect that some units like paratroopers have, the unit can be overrun if surrounded much more easily than normal.

The circles above the unit heads indicate the main gun reloading. Sometimes this happens if they are changing shell types but most times simply as they reload and fire.

The silver and gold numbers to the right of the icons are the armour thickness at the front glacis and the armour penetration of the gun (at 500m basically, ~10% is deducted every 100m after that) of the main gun.

You can see at 1286m I can hit with a chance of 81% and if I do hit I have a 100% chance of penetrating and then doing damage. APCR rounds though for instance may do very little damage but penetrate well. It's not complicated but it's as close to a wargame as it is to an RTS.

If you like armoured brigade their is a good chance you will like steel division 2 I would think. I should also mention that their are western divisions in steel division 2.. Americans, Scottish, British, Canadian, Polish, New Zealanders etc. Not sure how many of them are DLC though. So it's not just the Eastern Front you get to play in skirmish mode. The campaigns though are eastern front including Finish DLC campaigns.

From that sort of scale you can zoom seamlessly to this sort of scale. It's especially fun to watch all the action via the replay facility.

Just discovered this guy. He seems to do a good job of the basics but does not know much beyond the basics. It should also be noted that I turn unit scaling OFF so that my units are 1:1 scale with the terrain. But it is probably much easier to leave scaling on so that as you zoom out the units get bigger to a point, enabling you to identify them more easily. So in this video units will look slightly bigger than they should be.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

I was hoping I would be able to crow here about winning Battle Academy: The Western Desert Campaign with a win in battle 8, 'The Final Push'. But it turns out there's a battle 9. So I guess The Final Push was really, The Next To Last Push. Or, The Second From Last Push or whatever. I will continue to push-on in this light but highly addictive game.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Valheim is my current obsession, but I've been on a big Red Dead Online kick again.  RDO is not actually that bad if you don't expect too much of it.  It breaks down the gameplay of Red Dead singleplayer to its core essence and lets you do it again and again.  It's lacking and unpolished in a lot of ways, but the world and gunplay are still phenomenal.  In some ways improved, since your character moves a bit faster and less clumsily than Arthur.

Posted some Valheim screenshots in the thread for that game, but felt like sharing this nice little sunset excursion pic here as well.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao