"Bloody" Day at ESPN today

Started by bayonetbrant, April 26, 2017, 10:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Maybe they could have saved some money by not having so many hosts for a show? Do we really need 5 or more people to host College Gameday or NFL football?  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 26, 2017, 07:10:09 PM
Sounds like it's enough folks to staff a rival network. Hmm...

You mean like Cowherd, Bayless, Broussard, Gottlieb, Klatt, Glazer, Wright, Rosenthal, Whitlock, Carter, Mandel, and Feldman?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on April 26, 2017, 07:14:32 PM
Maybe they could have saved some money by not having so many hosts for a show? Do we really need 5 or more people to host College Gameday or NFL football?  ::)

They could've save the money by not upping their NBA rights fee from $400mil to $1.4bil
Yes, they went up $1bil over a decade for a league that really had no other viable suitors.

They're paying more for the NFL than Fox is, and they get a crappier schedule, no Super Bowls, and fewer playoff games.

They could prop up some bad decisions with their guaranteed subscriber rights fees (roughly $6/mo for the main channel, less for the other).  They can't prop up multiple bad decisions with subscriber fees that are tanking.

mirth

I wonder what Scott Van Pelt is thinking today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/07/dont-tell-scott-van-pelt-that-espn-is-dying/

QuoteI look at it this way: [Stories like that are] like a Mad Lib: We're going to reference cord-cutting, we're going to reference the names of the high-profile talent who have left, then we're going to mention that a bunch of people were let go, and then we're going to mention ratings. ... And the picture that it begins to paint is, 'We're [in trouble],' " Van Pelt said Tuesday in a telephone interview. "And then you see in the third quarter ESPN made $5.9 billion. I would put it this way, the analogy I would make is: Warren Buffet lost $50 million. He's still a billionaire and he still has more money than the people he's in common with that it's not even close. So my push-back and my fatigue with this, and it's real fatigue — I'm really tired of being painted as some sort of failing, sinking ship."
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

I'm going to find out tomorrow morning.  I'm DVR'ing his show tonight b/c I'm not staying up past midnight to see it

Marty Ward

Quote from: mirth on April 26, 2017, 10:52:09 AM
Quote from: Windigo on April 26, 2017, 10:48:11 AM
wanting to see payroll come down to help balance things out

and therefore dropping show/production quality and losing more subscribers....

They've been hemorrhaging subscribers for the past few years. The payroll dumps were inevitable.

But the ones leaving weren't watching ESPN anyway. The problem is Sports Center.With all the highlights, scores and stats available immediately on line it's outdated. They need to find a replacement for it.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

mirth

Quote from: Marty Ward on April 26, 2017, 07:56:33 PM

They've been hemorrhaging subscribers for the past few years. The payroll dumps were inevitable.

But the ones leaving weren't watching ESPN anyway. The problem is Sports Center.With all the highlights, scores and stats available immediately on line it's outdated. They need to find a replacement for it.

Doesn't matter rather they watch or not. ESPN gets a fee from cable companies on a per subscriber basis. Approximately $7 of your monthly cable bill goes to ESPN whether you watch it or not. So ESPN is getting $70 million less per month in subscriber fees than it was 3 years ago.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Marty Ward

Quote from: mirth on April 26, 2017, 08:07:57 PM

Doesn't matter rather they watch or not. ESPN gets a fee from cable companies on a per subscriber basis. Approximately $7 of your monthly cable bill goes to ESPN whether you watch it or not. So ESPN is getting $70 million less per month in subscriber fees than it was 3 years ago.

That's true but it is not anything ESPN can control. When someone cancels their cable every station loses money. The fact that ESPN gets way more per subscriber than any other network just shows how valuable it is to cable.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

mirth

Quote from: Marty Ward on April 26, 2017, 09:41:55 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 26, 2017, 08:07:57 PM

That's true but it is not anything ESPN can control. When someone cancels their cable every station loses money. The fact that ESPN gets way more per subscriber than any other network just shows how valuable it is to cable.

They can't completely control it, but what they can do is provide compelling content that helps retain subscribers.

Regardless of what is within their control, the reality is they are collecting almost $1 billion dollars less in annual subscriber fees than they were just three years ago.

bayonetbrant

and paying way more than necessary for their rights fees for some leagues, like the NBA and a bad NFL deal

bayonetbrant

You can add

Andy Katz
David Ching
David Lombardi
Britt McHenry
Charles Arbuckle

to the list

bbmike

^Britt McHenry did sports for WJLA here in DC for a while. She's probably wishing she had stayed there.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

I liked Charles Arbuckle.  Miss him on the college football discussion shows. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.