Word of advice after I found out

Started by WallysWorld, March 18, 2017, 11:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Had two BSoD today while trying to race at Charlotte in Nascar '15.

I noticed that my old, but still wonderful i7-920 which I have had overclocked to 4 Ghz since the beginning was running in the mid to high 60's at almost idle. Finally used a compressed air cleaner to blow the dust out and it was almost like my own personal Dust Bowl. Add some wet cleaning wipes to wipe everything down and the idle temperature dropped by about 20c. Running Prime 95, I get temperatures in the mid 70's which is pretty darn good.

Don't get lazy like me. Clean out the dust from your computer once in a while!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

steve58

While I've not seen any serious heating issues (I monitor temps with Speedfan and GPU-Z) I'm way overdue to do something similar to my old PC, but with my luck would probably end up zapping/frying my CPU #:-).  I do gotta wonder about your use of wet wipes though?  :wow:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

WallysWorld

Quote from: steve58 on March 25, 2017, 09:32:38 AM
I do gotta wonder about your use of wet wipes though?  :wow:
After using the air canister, I took a wet wipe and just wiped down the fan meshes of the case and other solid surfaces. Definitely did not come near any electrical parts with it.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

jamus34

Quote from: WallysWorld on March 25, 2017, 01:39:04 PM
I do gotta wonder about your use of wet wipes though?  :wow:
After using the air canister, I took a wet wipe and just wiped down the fan meshes of the case and other solid surfaces. Definitely did not come near any electrical parts with it.

Instead of wet wipes I would suggest swiffer wipes or swiffer dusters.
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

A dry paper towel should be fine as well.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

WallysWorld

Thanks for the advice. I will remember it for the next cleaning.

Nefaro

While I've not seen any serious heating issues (I monitor temps with Speedfan and GPU-Z) I'm way overdue to do something similar to my old PC, but with my luck would probably end up zapping/frying my CPU #:-).  I do gotta wonder about your use of wet wipes though?  :wow:

I'm also overdue. 

Been hoping to get a new video card this year.  Wanted to wait until I got that before cracking open my tower.  That thing is so damn heavy.  Didn't realize that when I ordered it.

Usually I just blow it out with the water vaporless canned air.   But when they get older, it's time to get some large cotton swabs. 

Maybe dip the tip in a little rubbing alcohol to wet the cotton down just a bit, if need be, for the more caked-on areas such as case fan blades.  Since rubbing alcohol evaporates much faster than water.  As long as it's not dripping off, should be okay doing the fan blades.