2016 Grogheads Fantasy Baseball

Started by Bison, March 14, 2016, 04:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well you can run the league next year.  I'm sure it'll be better.

MetalDog

Don't go all grumpy on me, Bison.  Just giving you the business.  Some might even say it's sour grapes.  As it's my ass you're kicking in the Finals  :D
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

I'm going shopping for keep off the grass signs today.

MetalDog

I'd be glad to loan you some of mine ;)

Bison

I don't think the subject of keep off is the same.

Marty Ward

Quote from: MetalDog on September 23, 2016, 07:41:37 PM

It'll never happen, Marty.  Our esteemed commish has tied one hand behind all our backs with move caps and short benches.  It's his league though, so, we play by his rules.  I'll say this about that, we have pretty good participation, but, unlimited moves and deeper benches benefit those who participate daily and I'm not sure how that would shake out with the rest of our league mates.  It's pretty easy to mill pitchers and position players to cover shortfalls and maybe not everyone enjoys playing that way.  Besides, it's kind of tradition now for me to tweak the commish's nose about his tightfisted and restrictive ways.  I suspect the rules suit his play style best.  It's the only way I can figure that he keeps coming in first.

If you go by the number of moves made we have pretty good participation but that doesn't necessarily mean we had a lot of people checking their line-ups every day, or every other day, which is what you need to do in the type of league we have.

Personally I prefer the 'everyone counts every day' type of league because it requires less  active managing. You are more like a GM in those, pick a team, make some small adjustments and let the season play out.

I think an increase in the number of moves per season would not hurt, maybe 50 or 60 is more appropriate. Maybe even adding more positions to the active roster would help also. I think ESPN has leagues where you can start 1 x 1B, 1 x 3B and 1 x 1B or 3B and the same for 2B and SS. Also expanding the bench by 1 or 2 spots might help.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on September 24, 2016, 08:47:16 AM
I don't think the subject of keep off is the same.

Don't knock it til you live it ;)

bayonetbrant

I wasn't even paying attention enough over the last 2 weeks to realize it was the playoffs.  I was just managing my team for the matchup that week.

If I hadn't had my closer spend half the week with an "INF" ERA, and King Felix shit the bed in his one start that week, I might've made the semifinals at least a bit more competitive w/ Bison.

Instead, I can't really complain about finishing 4th in a league where I'm not sure I've ever finished better than 3rd from the bottom.

Any chance that for next year, we figure out a way to keep 3-5 of the players from our current teams to have a core to build from? 
I know we've floated the idea before, but couldn't remember the reason for it.

Great season y'all!  :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

I finished 6th.  Not bad for my first time and the fact that I don't like baseball all that much.

Once I figured out that I could drop batters and add pitchers, I started to do better. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Marty Ward

Congrats Bison!

What is going on, the Vikings are 3-0, you win the league, North Dakota State beats Iowa. Is the world coming to an end??????
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

Huh...well would you look at that.  Great game Metaldog.  I'll need to look at how tie breakers are settled, but I suspect it's due to rank going into the playoffs. 

Thanks Marty.  I can look at the keeper rules and see how easy it is to setup.

Bison

Well the tiebreaker for head to head leagues is based on the three games that MD and I played during the season.  I won 2 of 3 match ups, but what mattered is that I won 14 stat categories to Metaldog's winning 13 categories in those match ups.  So in the end, it was a very close championship this year. 

Great season everyone.

bayonetbrant

Great job everyone :)

I gotta get Big Papi & his son registered over here for better smack-talking :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

KyzBP

MetalDog

You guys do realize there's still another week to each of the matchups....right?