Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 07, 2019, 03:00:13 PM
Damn robots!  >:(

they kill me pretty often.  I'm usually driving a DD or a cruiser.  If they kill me, well quite often they get everyone else too.  If things go well, I often torpedo a Robot battleship or two.  However, I'm reaching the point where I feel things are going to go better for my team if it has a Robot Battleship or two on the Human side (which can happen...you can have up to 7 of 8 of the players on your human team be Robots).  At least the Robot Battleships rarely hide behind rocks.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 07, 2019, 02:26:14 PM

And the Hermes -- launched in 1924, sunk in 1942 in the Indian Ocean:

MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 10, 2019, 04:54:31 AM

And here is the Furious.  Pretty impressive -- over 32 knots and with all the hit points of a small battlecruiser.  If I could fly planes properly she would be a real killer.  This screenshot is from a battle we won against the Robots (I've had the Furious in 3 battles and the Robots wiped us out in 2 out of 3 -- not entirely thanks to the fact that the Robots get a battleship to face the Furious -- but I'm sure that doesn't help the humans) -- anyway we finally beat the Robots thanks to a DD that sank 6 robot ships.  I did get a torpedo hit so maybe that helped a little:

Gusington

That one looks particularly bad ass.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 11, 2019, 08:05:18 AM
That one looks particularly bad ass.

The proto-ski-jump thing is odd--as is a lot of other stuff.  Still, she survived (in reality) WWII and 2 of 3 of these strange battlecruisers turned carriers did not (Courageous sunk by a U-boat, Glorious by two German battlecruisers).  On deck she has the Barracudas.  I think the Sea Hurricanes are off scouting.

Gusington

I love that ski jump - almost steam/dieselpunk. Ish.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on March 11, 2019, 01:02:33 PM
I love that ski jump - almost steam/dieselpunk. Ish.

Furious again:

Gusington

Something about that ship makes me smile.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Being happy is better than being....Furious.  :peace:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 19, 2019, 06:24:28 PM
Being happy is better than being....Furious.  :peace:

I'm not sure the Royal Navy ever had an HMS Happy...though one does hear of a "happy ship".  Ships apparently have traditional nicknames and the traditional nickname of Furious was Spurious.  I mean the nickname was "Spurious" not that she had a spurious nickname.

Gusington

I really hesitate to ask but...what does happy ship mean?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Where's that pic of Boaty Mc Boatface? The Brits had some odd names for their Aircraft Carriers like the emotion-themed ones, Furious, Ardent, Illustrious and then the traditional-themed Eagle and Ark Royal. Hermes for a Greek god. Probably more I'm not thinking of right now. Kind of strange.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 20, 2019, 09:57:27 AM
Where's that pic of Boaty Mc Boatface? The Brits had some odd names for their Aircraft Carriers like the emotion-themed ones, Furious, Ardent, Illustrious and then the traditional-themed Eagle and Ark Royal. Hermes for a Greek god. Probably more I'm not thinking of right now. Kind of strange.

Ardent, you are perhaps thinking of Avenger, which kind of accidently functioned as a major distraction in PQ-18 and survived only to be blown to bits by a U-boat while covering the Torch landings?

Overall the Ardents get blown up nearly as much as Avengers (below is Wikipedia on the Ardents):

Eight ships of the Royal Navy have been named HMS Ardent, whilst another two were planned:

HMS Ardent (1764) was a 64-gun third rate launched in 1764. She was captured by the French in 1779 but was recaptured in 1782 and renamed HMS Tiger. She was sold in 1784.
HMS Ardent (1782) was a 64-gun third rate launched in 1782. She caught fire and exploded near Corsica in 1794.
HMS Ardent (1796) was a 64-gun third rate launched in 1796. She was used for harbour service from 1812 and was broken up in 1824.
HMS Ardent (1841) was a wooden paddle sloop launched in 1841 and scrapped in 1865.
HMS Ardent was to have been a wooden screw sloop, but she was renamed HMS Rattler before her launch in 1843.
HMS Ardent (1894) was an Ardent-class torpedo boat destroyer launched in 1894 and broken up in 1911.
HMS Ardent (1913) was an Acasta-class destroyer launched in 1913 and sunk at the battle of Jutland in 1916.
HMS Ardent (H41) was an A-class destroyer launched in 1929 and sunk in 1940.
HMS Ardent was to have been an Amphion-class submarine but she was cancelled in 1945.
HMS Ardent (F184) was a Type 21 frigate launched in 1975 and sunk in 1982 during the Falklands War.