Ghost Recon Wildlands

Started by JudgeDredd, June 22, 2015, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 26, 2017, 06:11:02 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 25, 2017, 10:15:09 PM
Game continues to grow on me.....a number of interesting missions, especially good when your attacking a large base protected by hidden snipers.  Getting much better using my drone to setup an attack and making great use of synchronized team shots.  A lot of side missions pop up so I sometimes forget I have an mission to complete:)

Don't forget that as you play you find and earn skill points which are used to upgrade your player, your squad, your drone and your support options. As you play more, your abilities and tactical options increase and open up significantly.  Unlocks span the gamut from increasing your player's stamina or accuracy, to adding night vision and increased battery power and flight time to your drone.

Yep, I didn't realize that at first until I couldn't figure out why I was limited to only "1" synchronized shot...then I found it in the skill tree.  I think that area of the game is strong and opens up some good possibilities.

At this time, I've completed my time with the beta, don't want to play much more of it in case I pick it up later.  Enjoyed my time with it, but as mentioned before won't be a day one pickup.  Quite honestly, I played so much of the beta I need a break anyway:)  By the end of my time got much better with the vehicles and was making use of my squad mates, especially with the synchronized shot.  There is just so much you can do if you choose to play all the missions and side quests....which is great.  I do wish I could have a little more control of the squad and that they were a tad smarter, but good enough for what the game is trying to do.

Even though it won't make the top of my games list, certainly good time to be had.....maybe once I finish Sniper 4 I'll be ready for it.....although I believe the other sniper game Ghost Warrior 3 comes out in April which may peak my interest too:)

Apocalypse 31

GR Wildlands is interesting, and feels like a mix between Metal Gear Solid (lots of stealth, sneak and peak gameplay) and Far Cry (maybe because of the rebel faction?)

I enjoyed the Beta and went for the pre-order.

I see lots of flaws with the game; In terms of meta concepts, I can see how the game can get repetitive. The AI makes no attempt to retake any terrain - I guess they dont really need to, they automatically regenerate once you leave the area.

The AI is poor (but somehow has insanely accurate spotting mechanics). One thing that irritates me is that I can call for a rebel mortar strike and the enemy will somehow know my EXACT location. Or I miss a shot from my silenced sniper rifle at 500m while prone behind a bush and the enemy still somehow knows my exact location. Also - if you want to go loud, be prepared to fight an Army. The enemy will call in waves and waves of reinforcements. While it can be fun, it gets old after a while.

The vehicle controls are laggy and the helicopter control are ....eh...odd.

I played with a friend and it was a ton of fun, much like Far Cry 4. Two sets of eyes is always better, and the ability to synchronize shots is fun. I'm glad they went with 4 player coop versus the Far Cry 2-player coop.

Biggest pleasure: the game is BEAUTIFUL. Ubisoft has its flaws, but art and graphics is not one of them. I just installed a MSI GeForce 1070 and it seemed to be worth every penny-  game is running extremely smooth. Not my video, but just an idea of the beauty in this game. :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCH5ENnawVs

I'm apprehensive about how much improvement can be done at this point; the game releases in just over a week. Either way, I'm looking to seeing the final product.

Jarhead0331

Anyone playing? Jarhead0331 is my name on Uplay.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MikeGER

how is GR Wildlands to rate in Cons and Pros compared to ARMA 3  (with Marksmen and Apex) ?

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: MikeGER on March 07, 2017, 11:01:35 AM
how is GR Wildlands to rate in Cons and Pros compared to ARMA 3  (with Marksmen and Apex) ?

I wouldn't compare it to ArmA. I'd compare GR:W to the likes of Far Cry 4, rather than ArmA. It's open world with an overall story and many 'quests' that progress the story. It's basically just another Ubisoft game - open world, storyline, lots of quests to waste fill your time

Unlike ArmA 3:
-There is no modding (its a ubisoft game)
-GR:W is actually an open world game with enemies that are generated in areas, vice ArmA 3, which has an open world (sandbox), but requires scripting and 3rd party modders
-Unlock system in GR:W for weapons/accessories

If you enjoyed Far Cry 3,4 or The Division then i'd recommend it. A bunch of folks on reddit are saying that it has no replay value, but the campaign is long enough to give you quite a few hours of gameplay.

Jarhead0331

I haven't played the retail build yet, but with my experience in the beta I agree with Apocalypse. It is not a fair comparison with ARMA.

I also agree that it is a nice mix of Farcry, Just Cause, and GTA.  Many are saying it is a 30 to 50 hour game depending on how you play. However, I can see it growing quite repetitive. Even though the world is huge...and I mean HUGE...and even though there is a lot of terrain diversity within the huge world, there does not seem to be a lot of variation in mission types and enemies. You will essentially be doing attacking the same style targets, killing the same type enemies and performing the same type of missions across the entirety of the map and throughout the game. There is only so much of this that one can take before growing weary of it.

Still, I'm pretty confident I'm going to enjoy it and I look forward to jumping in when I get home tonight.

As an aside, the reviews on Steam are shockingly very positive overall.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 07, 2017, 12:34:45 PM
Even though the world is huge...and I mean HUGE...and even though there is a lot of terrain diversity within the huge world, there does not seem to be a lot of variation in mission types and enemies.

I completed the beta and just started the retail this morning.

Based on my beta experience and what others are saying, I gather that there aren't any unique situations that present a challenge to the player.

I found each engagement to be much like a puzzle; conduct recon to find a weak point, then infiltrate OR, recon to find my target then call for mortar fire from the drone.

I'd like to think that the strength lies in coop with GR:W. I had a great time with a few buds.

Kushan

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 07, 2017, 12:34:45 PM
Even though the world is huge...and I mean HUGE...and even though there is a lot of terrain diversity within the huge world, there does not seem to be a lot of variation in mission types and enemies.

Played about two hours so far and this has been my initial impression as well. I'm not too concerned about it at the moment, I try to go into all open worlds with the mindset that's its about the individual encounters and your personal experience. As long as they are a challenge and make for good gameplay I can usually deal with things being a bit repetitive. 10 years playing World of Warcraft probably help in that regard as well...

Had a pretty cool encounter this morning. Raided an outpost. Drove my Humvee analog (with a minigun) right into the middle of it. My squad took out the guards relatively easily but it alerted a nearby military patrol. These patrols increase in frequency and strength the higher their alert level is. Well we took out the first few groups pretty easily, all the while scrounging for intel between waves. Then as the attacks continued to mount, decided it was to to disengage. First attempt ended before it got going when a enemy truck rammed the HUMVEE as we were just getting started, and pushed us off a small cliff. We survived but the Humvee got totaled. After clearing that patrol we, hijacked their long bed F-150, and proceed to literally run over their friends down my the main road. This then let top a pretty intense car chase, with my trying to not run this long bed truck off the winding roads and down a cliff, while the army units chased us. Eventually the truck to got wrecked, it kind of exploded on us. As we were turning to face the enemy following us, a few of our rebel "allies" vehicles stumbled upon us and they began to engage. At that point I decided to just rally my squad and run, were we finally managed to break contact. made it to a nearby rebel camp and called it that session quits.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Arctic Blast

I ended up getting refunds on a lot of recent purchases that I wasn't into, had $40 in credit...and spent it (and some real money) on this.  ;D

Skoop

I'd say all the assessments above are spot on.  I'm enjoying it as well.  Playing with friends on ultra hard may extend the game after an sp play through.

JasonPratt

While I liked the beta well enough for what it was, I'm going to file this into my "threshold" game list for picking up a PS4. Because to play it well, I'd have to spend a few hundred dollars upgrading my video card anyway: so it's one or the other threshold list, and I'm lazy enough to consider a PS4 "easier" to "install" than switching out a gfx card.

That threshold notched significantly closer though...

(Also helping: my Blu Ray PS3 is having increasing trouble playing regular DVDs as the shuttle wears out. Eventually I'll need a new Blu-Ray base, and while I have one in my computer the software has recently gotten bugged where it refuses to recognize I have one.  :buck2: I can still use the drive for anything else, including DVD movies if I wanted to -- just not for Blu movies.)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

I am playing this on my 4K setup and I have to run some settings on high over ultra to get comfortable framerates, but even at sub-max settings the game looks absolutely gorgeous!

I find the gameplay refreshing, but only if you play at the highest or second highest difficulty settings. Otherwise the game is a rather bland stompfest.
The sync shot ability of your AI squadmates coupled with the ability to scout and designate targets from your drone, while then ordering them to fire independently of you, feels a little OP at times. On the other hand, you are playing a squad of highly trained Army Rangers and that's exactly how the game makes you feel, especially when a carefully planned stealth operation goes as planned.

The map is absolutely huge! And draw distance is insane at high settings.
The vehicles are finnicky and there are a lot of weird bugs still present while playing; camera getting stuck at knee level, de-syncs with other players, random disconnects from Uplay and stuck teammates to name some.

None of these hamper me having fun much, though. And if PvP is going to be fun (added later) I find this game to be GotY worthy.

Though, the MOST fun is playing this with three friends. That has to be said. Which I am lucky I can.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

wow...rescued from page 3? Not many playing?

Anyway I agree with the above. I'd like to add there are some issues - most notably for me

• AI squad mates - pretty poor overall. The Sync shot is useful, though sometimes you wonder how they managed to get to the shot...they're literally almost right next to me and I have no shot!
  • AI enemy to your squad mates - ludicrous. I've had mil vehicles passing by my squad mates wandering on the road, rifles out...the enemy AI just don't seem to react to your AI squad mates. You can literally tell your squad to go into the enemy compound in full view of the enemy AI and they will...without being detected
  • Where are they - you can get in a vehicle/helicopter and drive off and miraculously your squad appear in the back as you're moving
  • Disappearing bodies - enemy AI, once shot, will remove from the map - making it easy to systematically wipe out an outpost from distance - no need to be careful really about who is being taken out from a distance
  • Planes are a nightmare to fly and land making it almost entirely impossible to do those missions. That might be me and practice will probably help - but the first two I've came across I could not land where required (very small landing strip) and for one of them I actually landed it on a big field and taxi'd to the finish area - I couldn't do that for the second one because it was atop a mountain. I think it's just controls. Like I said, with practice it might come
  • Samey - the mission, from area to area, are the same - limited change - mostly (from what I've noticed at the moment) just numbers and location
  • Clearing locations actually does nothing - you get in and you get the goods or complete the mission - but as soon as you've done the job, the AI, at some point, move back in. I'd rather the terrain was gained and perhaps even contested again

That's the bad stuff - now the good stuff...

• Being samey is not a problem (at the minute) - I'm still hooked and I've cleared my second region with 40 hours in game. I imagine I may tire but currently, I look forward to firing it up
  • Graphics are fantastic. I don't have a super system - probably a mediocre system and yet with a few tweaks, it looks great and runs great
  • I've not seen a single bug (I'm counting the squad AI things as design issues) and no CTDs at all
  • Weapons, rewards, skills system are well done I think and all very useful
  • Sounds of weapons are very good
  • Maps are fantastically massive and helicopter rides around are great
  • You can adjust the difficulty whenever you like - I like that. Means you don't have to restart the campaign

I agree with Yskonyn about the level. I initially turned it down but I will be putting it back up because it's a bit of a walkthrough on an easier level

Overall I'm thoroughly enjoying this one and look forward to playing it daily (at the minute with 40 hours in game). I was dubious about the cost - but I've had every penny back in enjoyment so far and everything else is gravy - that can't be bad.

40 hours was pretty much all the spare time I had between my kitchen and RL stuff - and it's been spent almost exclusively on this game.

I've heard/read that this game is a cross between Far Cry3/4 and MGS - and I would concur with that assessment. There are some difference obviously, but mechanics-wise it's extremely similar to Far Cry 3/4
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

I'll pick it up eventually, even though I put quite a bit of time in the open beta.  Largely agree with a lot of your comments and for my playing style rather wait until a lot cheaper.  Towards the end of the beta, started to get a little repetitive for me and burned me out....I am sure by the holidays I will be ready to go:)

Swatter

Thanks for the write up, Judge.