What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nah, I don't think I'll have to do much painting at all.  I was able to track down a fair number of Heroclix ships which come pre-painted.  Other than adding a few distinguishing marks on identical models, I suspect I'll just leave them as is (or at most, use a dark wash on some of the Feds).  I don't even know if the game will gain any traction with my gaming groups.  Armada or Sails of Glory is about as heavy as most are willing to go, rules-wise. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 20, 2018, 10:23:06 PM
Nah, I don't think I'll have to do much painting at all.  I was able to track down a fair number of Heroclix ships which come pre-painted.  Other than adding a few distinguishing marks on identical models, I suspect I'll just leave them as is (or at most, use a dark wash on some of the Feds).  I don't even know if the game will gain any traction with my gaming groups.  Armada or Sails of Glory is about as heavy as most are willing to go, rules-wise.

So they're all about having minis?  Allergic to cardboard, eh?   #:-)

acctingman

Quote from: Cyrano on March 18, 2018, 10:51:00 PM
Gloomhaven.

Presently 0-3 on the same Bandit Commander S.O.B. and I am not freaking having it.

We were so close...

Soon as we unpack I'm getting this bad boy back on the table. I'm soloing, but I'm on the 6th scenario! Awesome game.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Nefaro on March 20, 2018, 11:45:30 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 20, 2018, 10:23:06 PM

So they're all about having minis?  Allergic to cardboard, eh?   #:-)

They come from a minis background.  Their Bolt Action stuff alone has got to be north of $5k.

BanzaiCat

I played SFB often back in the early 80s with a friend of mine (the only friend that played SFB). I got to the point where I hated it because he only chose Gorn ships, which had homing plasma torpedoes. I never could figure out how to counter those damned things.  >:(

I picked up a game called Star Saga yesterday. Highly rated on BGG, awesome-looking minis, basically a sci-fi themed dungeon crawl so there's a lot of tactical battle elements to it.

Cyrano

JH, Brant and I were talking about "lifestyle" games last night.

I think SFB was the first one I ever bumped into, although the Napoleonic minis the crew I grew up with played probably should count.

The guys I played SFB with in the mid-1990s still put on a big game every year at GenCon.  I do not comprehend this, but I do admire it.  At a distance.

Oh, launch shuttle > homing torpedo.

Long Live the Tholian Web!
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Silent Disapproval Robot

IIRC, the best way to take out homing plasmas was with transporter bombs.  Even if the blast didn't destroy them, it'd usually do enough damage to weaken the torp to the point that it was useless.  Of course you did have to drop your shields to beam the bomb out which left you vulnerable to other fire...

Cyrano

^ I was never the aficionado my friends were, but I always dreaded lowering shields...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Silent Disapproval Robot

Played out our 2v2 game today.  Klingons vs Federation.  It was fun and a lot faster paced than SFB.  My friend liked it quite a bit but hated having to do math.

I think I might start using 2 10-sided dice to track energy rather than the track on the card.  Might be easier.

BanzaiCat

I ordered a copy of Iwo: Bloodbath in the Bonins. It's a solitiare DG folio game, but after watching some review vids of it, it looks like a good game. And I've always had a fascination with that particular battle.

BanzaiCat

Just arrived today. Got it because Derek Case's video review was compelling.

The counters kind of suck, but the map is pretty nice.

Bison

Played another game of Blood Rage yesterday afternoon.  A good buddy of mine really, really like it.  I'll play and it's enjoyable but there are better conflict and area control games on the market.

BanzaiCat

Finished a game of RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940, and wrote up a full (i.e. finished) AAR for it (believe it or not). Submitted it for front page (wherever that is) inclusion for future posting (another parenthesis just because).

Bison

Learned and played some Battle for Moscow and Triumph and Tragedy yesterday.  The Russian player staled my German advance.  I needed to be much more aggressive attacking before the mud seasons.  In T&T, I won a Soviet economic victory.  I just let the Germans and Western powers duke it out over in France while I used political cards to consolidate power in Persia, Turkey, Rumania, Spain, Portugal, Sweden...soft power won the day.  Fun game but I don't think it'd be as enjoyable with only two players.

BanzaiCat

Just got a few el cheapo solitaire games off of Wargamer's Vault - Der Kessel, March to the Sea, Target Bearing 093 Degrees, Courtroom Clash, and Going Ashore.

Now I just gotta figure out how much it's going to cost to print-and-play this stuff...LOL.