Counter clippers

Started by Philippe, October 20, 2017, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: OJsDad on November 03, 2017, 10:46:04 AM
I bought my first non PC game in decades yesterday.  I looked, but didn't see any counter clippers there.

Don't do it man... that way lies madness.... get a good rotary cutter and steel ruler. Nice square corners.

BanzaiCat

Rotary cutters are pretty nice. Barth's advice turned me on to a 45mm Fiskars rotary cutter that does very well for me.

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

I'm still cutting corners where I deem it necessary, though. :)

Barthheart

mirth

I never cut corners when it comes to counter trimming.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

I found a Fiskars cutting wheel in container of my grandmothers sewing supplies.  Along with the cutter is a large supply of 28 and 45 mm blades.  I used the 45 mm blade to cut the counters out for Eastern Front, part of the Der Weltkrieg series.  Worked extremely well.

The only downside, was my daughter.  She gets home from work, and points out that I had the blade on the wrong side of the handle.  Ok, no big deal.  She fixed it for me.  But instead of handing it back to me, she then proceeds to cut out the chits.  Sigh. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Crossroads

Quote from: OJsDad on January 30, 2018, 08:36:19 AM
I found a Fiskars cutting wheel in container of my grandmothers sewing supplies.  Along with the cutter is a large supply of 28 and 45 mm blades.  I used the 45 mm blade to cut the counters out for Eastern Front, part of the Der Weltkrieg series.  Worked extremely well.

The only downside, was my daughter.  She gets home from work, and points out that I had the blade on the wrong side of the handle.  Ok, no big deal.  She fixed it for me.  But instead of handing it back to me, she then proceeds to cut out the chits.  Sigh.

So glad I don't have a daugher, only sons. They'd never do that! Wheew.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

bbmike

Has anyone ever used the Oregon Laminations clipper on cards? I just received my copy of All Things Zombie Reloaded and the playing cards all have sharp edges, which seems kind of odd to me. (Of all of my LnL games, this one just isn't as nice component-wise as the other games by them)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on March 10, 2018, 09:01:26 AM
Has anyone ever used the Oregon Laminations clipper on cards?

I've used my on card stock. Forget what for, but it worked fine.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on March 10, 2018, 09:01:26 AM
Has anyone ever used the Oregon Laminations clipper on cards? I just received my copy of All Things Zombie Reloaded and the playing cards all have sharp edges, which seems kind of odd to me. (Of all of my LnL games, this one just isn't as nice component-wise as the other games by them)

They'll work just as well on cards, as mirth said.

bbmike

Well...sorta. It works but these cards aren't the best quality to start with. It was hard to line them up and it scuffed some of the card edges. I may have create my own decks, at least for the encounters.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

...the faint sound you can hear in the background is the blood draining from Barth's face.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bbmike

Probably, but mediocre quality cards with square corners = disaster waiting to happen.  8)
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

LOL

Well, mine is a 3mm Fiskar cutter, so maybe that makes it easier?