GMT's MBT

Started by Tinkershuffle, July 05, 2015, 09:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkershuffle

How many of you have already pre-ordered this? There was a complaint about unrealistic map terrain but I'm not an expert of german geography so that doesn't bother me. The only thing that bothers a bit is that I would've loved to see the game covering for example historical battles in Yom Kippur or Indo-Pakistan war instead of hypothetical US-Soviet conflict. But I'm still most likely going to buy it.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-478-mbt.aspx

GJK

Hypothetical 1980's US vs USSR battles don't interest me in the least.  That despite that's what my job was in the Marines (G-2).  Hell, maybe that's why I don't care for it....

I had Panzer but sold it.  I just can't see getting in to another tactical WWII game other than ASL.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

I have the orginal MBT from AH, so I haven't ordered the new one. I believe the plan is to expand it into the Mid East if all goes well with the initial release. I might jump on it then.

Staggerwing

I didn't see any sneak peeks of the maps at the game's web page, other than a tiny glimpse on the sample scenario card. What's wrong with them?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on July 05, 2015, 09:54:29 AM
.. I would've loved to see the game covering for example historical battles in Yom Kippur or Indo-Pakistan war instead of hypothetical US-Soviet conflict. But I'm still most likely going to buy it.

The old sequel to MBT was called IDF, with scenarios from the Arab-Israeli wars.

I still have mine, but I've spotted them going for reasonable prices on Ebay before.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5041/idf-israeli-defense-force

Tinkershuffle

Thanks Nefaro, I'll keep my eyes open.

panzerde

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 05, 2015, 03:46:32 PM
I didn't see any sneak peeks of the maps at the game's web page, other than a tiny glimpse on the sample scenario card. What's wrong with them?

I didn't either. I'd like to see a map example, since I'm potentially interested in the system. I might hunt around more aggressively this evening and see what I can turn up.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bickford

From what was posted on Consimworld the MBT maps will probably be similar in style to the Panzer maps

Nefaro

Quote from: bickford on July 17, 2015, 06:58:42 PM
From what was posted on Consimworld the MBT maps will probably be similar in style to the Panzer maps

Makes sense since the systems are similar.

-selling seashells by the seashore.

Richie61

I agree with the maps being the same as Panzer too. I can live with that too  :)

The old MBT maps were nice too  ;)
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

bickford

Correct, the OLD MBT maps are not directly compatible with the NEW MBT and NEW Panzer maps.
The hex grids, road and river connections don't match.
However the NEW MBT maps will be compatible with the NEW Panzer maps.
So in effect there will probably be ~30 maps at least in the NEW series. (20 in the four Panzer games + whatever in three MBT games)
Based on what has been mentioned on the other sites (CSW,BGG) everything in the NEW MBT should work directly with the NEW Panzer.
So we should see M1 Abrams stats directly compatible with PzKpfw VIB Tiger II stats.

Sure, one could play the NEW MBT and NEW Panzer on the OLD MBT maps, just can't connect to the NEW maps.

Tinkershuffle

I heard the game is being shipped right now, has anyone here gotten their copy yet? I probably need to place my order this weekend.

mirth

A buddy of mine received his pre-order copy this week. We're giving it a play tonight.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: mirth on July 22, 2016, 09:42:31 AM
A buddy of mine received his pre-order copy this week. We're giving it a play tonight.

Sounds excellent, I want pics!

mirth

I have a couple I'll post when I get home.  Took a beat down in the tutorial scenario. It is a beautiful game though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus