Six Days in October - The Consolidated Dispatches of Marshal Lannes

Started by panzerde, May 14, 2018, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Jim Owczarski to me
11/8/16
Your corps has bivouacked approximately 12 km Northwest of Meiningen.  No enemy contacts to report.

S!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

RECEIVED, 0230 Hours, 12th October

Marshals!

I am encamped in a howling German wilderness (no win, only beer!)
about 15km north of Hildburghausen.  My intent is to move northwards
to the intersections just south of YELLOW tomorrow.

At that point I will be ready to either move directly north to attack
Ruchel; or to take a day of rest to ensure my men are fully fit before
attacking Ruchel on the next day.

I presume we will coordinate our movements; please let me know when
you wish me to attack.

In addition, when we attack towards Gotha, shall Marshal Lannes take
the western side of the road while I take the eastern?  This may
entail my marching towards to the Arnstadt-Gotha road to cross the
river, detailing a force to hold Arnstadt and another towards Erfurt.
Otherwise, I can hold to the western side of the Ohrdruf river, but
will likely need maneuver room if I am to bring my entire force to
bear.

Please let me know how you would like me to proceed, and perhaps where
we might find wine worth drinking in this barley-ridden wasteland.

- Davout

JasonPratt

PS: dang if Murat doesn't look like he belongs in Legend of the Galactic Heroes...  :coolsmiley: O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

panzerde

Gentlemen,

I am encamped approximately 12 km north of Meiningen along the Meiningen-Eisenach road. I should arrive in the vicinity of ORANGE about noon. I am hoping to encounter Murat's detached divisions or at least receive information from them regarding Ruchel's proximity to the passes.

I am in agreement with M. Davout - Once I arrive I am ready to attack north immediately, but believe that taking the rest of the day to rest would be wise. Given Davout's timetable, if he would like an entire rest day, I would plan to resume my advance on the 14th.

In regards to attacking Gotha, I am again in agreement. I will advance my corps on the west while Marshal Davout advances on the east. An advance by Davout through Arnstadt has the virtue of possibly bringing his force in on Ruchel's flank or rear, Combined with Marshal Murat creating havoc behind him, and my corps fixing him from the front, this could be a very difficult spot for him indeed.

However, I strongly suspect that there will be an engagement of some scale prior to that, somewhere between Ohrdruf and the escarpment. Any intelligence from the cavalry that have Ruchel under observation would be most welcome. My principal concern is that the full weight of the Prussians fall upon one of our corps before we are in supporting distance of one another.

Once I arrive at ORANGE I will take up defensive positions with my infantry, and scout through the pass toward Ohrdruf and Gotha with my cavalry. I will also send cavalry to attempt to make contact with Murat's divisions and Davout. I will hold ORANGE until I know that Davout in in place at YELLOW and ready to advance again.

Lannes

panzerde

RECEIVED 0430, 12th October

To Marshal Lannes
(believed about 12km north of Moiningen, moving north)
From Marshal Murat (encamped vicinity Moiningen)

My dear comrade -
I have just received your dispatch, sent at 0230. Apparently you are slightly ahead of me on the Schweinfurth - Eisenach road.

Two hours ago I received word from Marshal Davout that he is camped approximately 15km north of Hildburghausen. He informs me that he anticipates arriving in the vicinity of the pass designated "yellow" some time in the mid-afternoon.

In the morning, please continue your advance northwards, up to the crossroads leading to the pass designated "orange" in our earlier discussions, taking that pass to proceed up to the pass summit itself. When I reach that crossroad behind you I will detach d'Hautpoul's cuirassier division to support you whilst I continue northwards toward the "red" pass and Eisenach with the remainder of my corps. You should assume temporary tactical control of d'Hautpoul's formation once he affects rendezvous with you.

As previously reported, my scouts continue to maintain contact with the Advanced Guard of Ruchel's Corps which has been sighted in the vicinity of Ohrdruf (roughly 5000 infantry and 1000 cavalry). As of 1600 hours yesterday (my last communication with the division commander), those enemy forces were deploying in preparation for battle.

As you and Davout have requested, once you have each reached your respective passes ("yellow" for Davout and "orange" for you) you may halt your advance and rest your troops for the remainder of the day, preparatory to resuming your advance (most likely initiating an engagement with Ruchel's corps around Ohrdruf) tomorrow. While your infantry are resting, employ your cavalry to screen your main body from the Prussians -- it is important that they not be afforded a clear sense that the bulk of your infantry are so close.

However, do not be complacent. It appears that Ruchel is withdrawing, you should break camp and advance vigorously to maintain contact. It is vital that Ruchel not be allowed to escape.

I will be continuing north with my main body to scout Eisenach via the "red" pass. If I find Eisenach vacant, I will move through and advance on Gotha (to hopefully cut Ruchel's line of retreat). However, should Eisenach prove to be held by strong Prussian forces, my intent is to backtrack and join you at "orange."

- Murat

panzerde

ATTENTION TO ORDERS!
Sender: Lannes – Day 3 0600

Time Sent: (UMPIRE)

Recipient: V Corps  - Foucher, Suchet, Gazan

Time Received: (UMPIRE)

Unit Marching: Divisions of V Corps

Order of march to be Suchet, Foucher, Gazan

Route of March: By road from north from current encampment to pass designated ORANGE.

Time to Spend Marching: Until destination objective is reached but no longer than 8 hours

Expected Objective: North end of ORANGE pass through the Thuringian escarpment.

On reaching the objecting, the Focuher's cavalry is to move north through the pass, taking up screening positions oriented toward the north/northeast (Gotha). Cavalry should patrol toward Ohrdruf to discover the location of the enemy force near the town. If practical, the screen should attempt contact with Murat's cavalry divisions assigned to observe the enemy near Ohrdruf.

During the march the cavalry is to scout ahead and to the flanks, and to provide guards for the corps trains. The main body is to proceed to ORANGE, where it will encamp in defensive positions at the north end of the pass and rest.
Rules of Engagement: If the enemy is encountered in strength, the screen is to fall back, skirmishing, to ORANGE and hold until relieved by the main body. If only light troops/cavalry are encountered, the cavalry is to screen the main body to prevent the enemy from determining the location of the main body.

For the main body, if the enemy is encountered in strength, we are to deploy on the open ground just north of the pass. Suchet's division will deploy in line with light infantry out as skirmishers. Gazan will form the reserve. Foucher's cavalry is to deploy to the flanks.

Dispatches: Dispatches to me on arrival at ORANGE and on taking up screening positions. Also, send me word if the enemy is observed or you are in contact. Finally, send word if the screen is forced to fall back to defensive positions at ORANGE.

JasonPratt

I'm super interested in this, since I only heard about various results after the fact. Indeed, we had heard through the peasant grapevine (backchat here on the forum, mostly via Cyrano) that some kind of butt-kicking had gone on somewhere, and I was in closer contact with East Wing whom I knew wasn't fighting, and I knew Center Thrust wasn't fighting, so by deduction...!

But I couldn't be sure of the result for a long time. In real-life time, I think it was several months! Or maybe a couple of whole seasons!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

panzerde

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 14, 2018, 06:42:31 PM
Ha!

Be sure not to go past the end of Day 2 (and maybe preliminary discussion early Day 3 before moves), so that we don't spoil Cyrano and Brant's video AAR series. Then of course we can catch up as they go along.

Yep, I've taken it up to the morning of October 12. There is a lot of message traffic that day that I'll wait for Cyrano to post more videos before I post it all.

panzerde

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 14, 2018, 06:47:49 PM
I'm super interested in this, since I only heard about various results after the fact. Indeed, we had heard through the peasant grapevine (backchat here on the forum, mostly via Cyrano) that some kind of butt-kicking had gone on somewhere, and I was in closer contact with East Wing whom I knew wasn't fighting, and I knew Center Thrust wasn't fighting, so by deduction...!

But I couldn't be sure of the result for a long time. In real-life time, I think it was several months! Or maybe a couple of whole seasons!

Murat, Davout and I were...aggressive...

James Sterrett

Quote from: panzerde on May 14, 2018, 06:53:35 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 14, 2018, 06:47:49 PM

Murat, Davout and I were...aggressive...

We translated our mission as "kick Prussian ass" and worked to find opportunities for same.  :)

Barthheart

Quote from: panzerde on May 14, 2018, 06:24:36 PM
This Bonaparte is going to kill us.

Departing from camp along the Schweinfurt-Morningen road. I should reach the crossroads road to Orange pass today or early tomorrow. I will move to occupy Orange pass and hold the position until relieved by Davout, as per the Emperor's orders.

How could you have already known I was at Ohrdruf at this time? You haven't even crossed the passes yet.....

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on May 14, 2018, 08:16:44 PM
Quote from: panzerde on May 14, 2018, 06:24:36 PM
This Bonaparte is going to kill us.

Departing from camp along the Schweinfurt-Morningen road. I should reach the crossroads road to Orange pass today or early tomorrow. I will move to occupy Orange pass and hold the position until relieved by Davout, as per the Emperor's orders.

How could you have already known I was at Ohrdruf at this time? You haven't even crossed the passes yet.....

I think the time I have on the map is off. I don't know that you're there until I receive the dispatch at (I think) 1630 from Murat saying that his cavalry has scouted you.

Barthheart

panzerde

JasonPratt

I didn't get any indication from them you were at Ohrdruf until someone pushed up through one of the passes and whiffed a scouting division you had kept forward to watch the passes. So they didn't know until they saw you (and then didn't necessarily know your corps was at Ohrdruf per se.)

And then I got a lot of courier silence until substantially after the events of Day 3, maybe Day 4. I was a little worried we weren't supporting West Wing enough, but I'll talk about that later after the next video entry.

Our plan for West Wing from the beginning, however, was to use the Cav corps and the superior maneuverability of cav divisions in the standard corps to envelop Gotha and surrounding areas with West Wing JUST IN CASE anyone was there (our plan of advance just happened to flank Ordruf, too, coming through two passes, while the cav corps went out wide at Eisenach far behind Ordruf), and then send the cav corps in a deep adventure north around the back of the enemy lines at a strategic level while most of West Wing took up a blocking position and demonstrated for attention, protecting the cav's supply line -- advancing forward toward Weimar if circumstances looked favorable. There was a lot of flexible weight arriving in that area.

It just so happened someone _was_ there.

Most of West Wing was either going to draw the Prussians down southwest to allow us in Central and especially East to hit from the back, or else West was going to push forward to flank the Prussians from the side as we advanced up to contact with a more eastern defensive line. Lots of Prussian butt-kicking for West Wing either way, and/or a crazy large-scale raid operation for the cav corps.

Not that I'm going to spoil the plot of how that turned out yet (so far as I know it)...