Factus Games 'The Second World War'

Started by Ian C, June 28, 2017, 03:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

Here's hoping they get the AI to be able to handle the game's economy.  I think that was the big failing in MH2.  Not sure if it was improved in TGW.  The feature list makes it look like a competitor to HOI.

Ian C

acctingman

They have a German "Main Battle Tank" as a Maus....that is a Maus, right?

sandman2575

Ugh, sure looks like it. 

I really hate the way some WW2 games make a fetish out of Nazi "Wunderwaffen" -- on that page alone we get the V2, Ho 229, *and* the Maus -- as if they are at all typical of German military power during the war, and not what they were: the pipe-dreams of a desperate and all-but-defeated nation.

I was keeping a cautiously optimistic eye on this title, but this leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth...

Millipede

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 06, 2017, 07:10:34 PM
Ugh, sure looks like it. 

I really hate the way some WW2 games make a fetish out of Nazi "Wunderwaffen" -- on that page alone we get the V2, Ho 229, *and* the Maus -- as if they are at all typical of German military power during the war, and not what they were: the pipe-dreams of a desperate and all-but-defeated nation.

I was keeping a cautiously optimistic eye on this title, but this leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth...

I think that the idea is to make those weapon systems available if the country you're playing has the resources/economy/research that enables them. As mentioned in the article, the game can continue beyond a defined end-point if the circumstances warrant it. Also, it's not just the German advanced weapons... all participants will have the ability to research weapons that were in their research pipeline when the war ended in 1945.

That's what I got out of the article anyway. I hope that it's not just wishful thinking on my part.

Jarhead0331

I agree with millipedes take...the screenshots and the presence of advanced weapons systems aren't as horrifying when viewed in the context of the actual article, which is about a-historic outcomes and advanced technologies.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

^ I agree.

It actually says, under the Me262 and Ho229
German Jet Fighter I and Jet Fight IV
Alba gu' brath

sandman2575

Ah, so this is what comes of hastily jumping to conclusions based on a few screenshots rather than actually paying attention to "words". Lesson learned.  8)

Anyway, I do hope the SuperWeapons are just exotica and not stuff we're going to see the AI fielding in numbers in 1944...