Should we have a Grogheads discord server?

Started by Huw the Poo, November 27, 2018, 02:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Being, as I am, a recent convert to Discord I've come to realise how useful and fun it is.  I've been wondering why there isn't one for Grogheads, as it's basically IRC on steroids.  It's perfect for a good community, especially one centered around gaming.

There could be separate for channels for video games and board games, for example.  A channel to post pictures, a meta-discussion channel for Grogheads itself, even a moderator channel to make it easy for y'all to discuss problems (like Undercovergeek) in real time.

I held out against Discord for a long time because it seemed to come out of nowhere to enormous popularity, and that usually makes me suspicious.  But having used it for a couple of months I really can't fault it.  Here are some personal favourite features:

Bots
Very easy sharing of pictures and videos
Seamless voice chat (in designated channels which are kept separate from text-only channels)
Seamless integration in mobile apps - and a lot of thought has been put into this too, for example if you're actively using Discord on your PC your phone will stop getting notifications until you've been away for 10 minutes or so
No missing conversations when you aren't logged in

So it's even a good place to quickly assemble for a gaming session.  Anyway, just thought I'd make the suggestion.  Thoughts?

Jarhead0331

I use discord for several different games I follow.

I'm open to the idea, but I would be concerned that a discord could take away from the activity on the forum, which we value.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2018, 02:56:49 PM
I'm open to the idea, but I would be concerned that a discord could take away from the activity on the forum, which we value.

Yeah, a totally valid concern.  I can't speak for anyone else but I don't think it would affect me in that way.  I would use Discord for small talk, and the forum for the meatier issues.  I tend to use Discord more when I'm mobile as it's just an easy way to keep in touch.  When I'm at my desktop I'm much more likely to post on a forum instead.

Yskonyn

IIRC this was brought up in the past at least one time.
JH's response now was the general consensus then too.
Its valid especially for 'forum communities' like this one I guess, but a place to hang out with voice chat might be a nice touch for the community.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tuna

It is a great idea for  voice chat, and it's free! can you set one up with voice only?

jamus34

It's also extremely useful to use for multiplayer rather than steam or blizzard chat. Helps keep the asshats off while facilitating communication with the people you actual want to talk to.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

You asked for it...so like Burger King, have it your way.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

We'll try it out. If it detracts from the forum, we reserve all rights to nuke it from orbit.

https://discord.gg/QEQYs7N
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Ok...I'm an old dude with  little  knowledge of tech, apps and social media. What is a discord server?  :idiot2:

bob48

It allows you to join a group and chat, either by typing, like skype, or with a headset and talk live.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Father Ted

So how is it better than Teamspeak? Tried discord but find TS more intuitive

bob48

I really don't know enough about either system to say if one is any better than the other <shrug>
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Tuna

Quote from: Father Ted on November 27, 2018, 06:07:16 PM

Free

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Father Ted on November 27, 2018, 06:07:16 PM

It's been a while since I last used Teamspeak - is it still voice only?  Discord does a lot more than that; text channels, bots, easy sharing of pictures etc.  I've been using it with my gaming group for a while now (we used to use Mumble) and found that it catered to our needs perfectly.  We use the "pinned messages" feature to keep track of when the next gaming night is. :)

Geezer

No interest in using Discord.  Can't see how everyone posting there won't effect activity here, but hope I'm wrong.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

IronX