Discuss GrogCast Season 2!

Started by bayonetbrant, September 08, 2015, 03:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Some are less "modern" than others.

Bawb and Windy, for example, are both "post-Precambrian."  ;D

Bison

What exactly is modern warfare then Brant?  I haven't listened the podcast yet, but I will.

If modern is simply a timeframe construct, then "modern" warfare is almost exclusively asymmetrical in nature.  Since a true force on force conflict is not the norm of conflicts post 1991 and the fall of the Soviet Union well really since Korea.  Vietnam is another discussion all together.  And of course asymmetrical warfare itself is not limited by any stretch of the imagination to the post-cold war conflict timeframe.

I'm going to need your research complete and posted by the end of the week.  Clear?  :)

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

You might need to revisit some of your organizational breakdown.  There's change afoot.  And I think that a counterpoint to your arguement that yes while technology has changed over the years the cold-war is being recast with additional new regional alignments.  So the large scale force on force wargaming of the cold war is returning and with a more multi-front scenario focus and not limited to the Fulda Gap scenario of a NATO and Warsaw Pact conflict.

bayonetbrant

My key point was that if you want to fight a true "modern" hot conflict, you don't just pull out Assault, blow the dust off the box, and call it "good enough" just because there were 4 M1s in a tank platoon then, and there are 4 M1s in a tank platoon now.  There are so many other changes / differences between then and now that it's borderline silly to do so.  It was 30 years ago.  Shit's changed a LOT since then.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 07, 2015, 12:58:23 PM
My key point was that if you want to fight a true "modern" hot conflict, you don't just pull out Assault, blow the dust off the box, and call it "good enough" just because there were 4 M1s in a tank platoon then, and there are 4 M1s in a tank platoon now.  There are so many other changes / differences between then and now that it's borderline silly to do so.  It was 30 years ago.  Shit's changed a LOT since then.

Yes, but has the doctrine?  Isn't that ultimately the test of a wargame to test the doctrinal theory?

bob48

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 07, 2015, 11:09:49 AM

Not pre-postcambrian?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

So you
Quote from: bob48 on October 07, 2015, 02:28:35 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 07, 2015, 11:09:49 AM

Not pre-postcambrian?

What are you talking about battle prior to Cambai?  Well you certainly wouldn't be discussing the use of tank formations in those battles.

tokyodan

Hi. I'm new here having accidentally stumbling upon your podcast. And I'm glad I found it. Great cast. I am really interested in Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, which I have. But I have yet to finish the tutorial. So I am a newbie not only to this game but to wargaming in general

In GrogCast Season 2, Episode 5 at 15min. 19s in you mention maps by 'William' the image scientist...Which maps are his? Also where can I get more info about the articles about maps, terrain, and AI he's written.

Regards,
Dan

Bison

Quote from: tokyodan on October 12, 2015, 06:10:28 PM
Hi. I'm new here having accidentally stumbling upon your podcast. And I'm glad I found it. Great cast. I am really interested in Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, which I have. But I have yet to finish the tutorial. So I am a newbie not only to this game but to wargaming in general

In GrogCast Season 2, Episode 5 at 15min. 19s in you mention maps by 'William' the image scientist...Which maps are his? Also where can I get more info about the articles about maps, terrain, and AI he's written.

Regards,
Dan

Welcome aboard Dan.

bayonetbrant

Hey there! I expect someone from OTS will be along shortly to answer for you :)

panzerde

Welcome Dan!

I'll let Capn Darwin get into specifics, but as far as I know, all the existing maps in the current version of FPC:RS are the maps reworked by William.

A place to start understanding a bit more about how the game AI works might be to take a look at this article I wrote last year using FPC:RS to illustrate the very same planning process Rob was discussing in the podcast.

If you check the Computer Wargames forum here, you'll find a very long and detailed thread concerning Flashpoint Campaigns, as well.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

tokyodan

panzerde

Let me know if you'd like to try a Flashpoint Campaigns game PBEM sometime and go over some of the basics.

In addition to Jim and Rob from OTS, Steve Overton, who did pretty much all of the scenarios for the game also hangs out here and can give you a lot of great pointers.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

tokyodan

@panzerde That'd be great. Thanks. How could that 'going over the basics' be done via the PBEM system? Doesn't the game just play out the opponent's turn?