Mordor: Shadow of War release and reviews

Started by JasonPratt, October 09, 2017, 07:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Might as well get the party started!  :bd:

Since I don't have the game yet (allowing family to give it on my birthday next month), let me get the party started with news that the true ending is hidden behind an ultra-grindy process that's designed to encourage you to pay more real money in order to reach the true ending!

:hide: :crazy2: :uglystupid2: :tickedoff:

So basically, it's as if Warner Brothers had locked the true Arkham Knight ending behind truly beating the Riddler (which they did, more or less, depending on whether you beat all the other side missions before doing the grand finale to the plot); and then if they had locked truly beating the Riddler behind finishing all his tedious grind crap requiring you to double back repeatedly (ditto, typical for the Riddler in these games); and then made the process of beating the Riddler's grindy things largely dependent on total luck; and then said, "If you ever get tired of this and want to see the true ending to the game, just give us more real money and we'll expedite the process."

I understand, with increasing development budgets AAA games ought to be costing more; and things like this help finance the game. I get that. But holding the game hostage to extort more money rather than just asking for more of the money on the front end, shows total contempt for the audience.

It also makes the developers liars, by the way, since they promised (albeit with some suspicious vaguery here and there) that the in-game store wouldn't be important for winning the game.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Doesn't bother me....I bought it to have a little mindless fun slashing and killing things...very rare I complete any of these game anyways (except for Sniper series).  Got my copy for around $30 so minimal investment for some entertainment.  I'll never buy any of the loot (never have in any game) so not a big deal for me.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Not sure how I feel about that. Considering the first game is (and has been) regularly on sale for $5 I can wait. My backlog is hitting legendary status.
Insert witty comment here.

Grim.Reaper

Got my preload key...pretty big at roughly 65GB.

Arctic Blast

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Moreb

When dongles fly? - mirth

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Moreb

I'm a few short.

Never played the series but I have to admit the kill scenes are brutal.

My many years of playing wargames has kept me occupied. It's incredible how many interesting games are out there. I have been in a wargaming slump these past couple years.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Gusington

The feature that grabbed me immediately with Shadow of War is the sieging and defending of fortresses. As a TW fan forever this immediately moistened my loins. A writer over at RPG is currently complaining about loot boxes but I am a sucker for awesome fantasy sieges. They aren't that common.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I thought we got that whole problem with Mordor thing cleared-up some time ago. I distinctly remember a ring melting in a pool of lava, then everything exploded and some giant Eagles showed-up to rescue everybody. Was that just some bad Bourbon Sushi I had?

Seriously, this game looks great and I never played the first one. Hope it's a winner.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

appears it has already unlocked tonight....mine is still downloading though....

Gusington

Done! Mine is unlocked. Only have time to fiddle with the settings, though 😓

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd