Falklands Game

Started by JudgeDredd, November 05, 2013, 05:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I have asked this before - so sorry for the repeat.

Any Falklands War games out there? Particularly ones currently in print/for sale in the UK and with land/sea/air warfare?

I know about The Falklands War by Close Simulations and Where There Is Discord by Fifth Column Games - though I can't seem to find either in print or for sale. Amazingly the third print of Where There Is Discord is sold out!

Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

In print?  Doubt it.

You hit the big two already.

Ring of Hills is just ground combat, so not quite what you wanted.

There is this:  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3161/port-stanley-battle-for-the-falklands
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Thanks.

I should've mentioned solitaire as well  ;D

I'll just keep my eyes open for Where There Is Discord...maybe one will come up at a not too ridiculous price.
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2013, 05:17:18 PMI'll just keep my eyes open for Where There Is Discord...maybe one will come up at a not too ridiculous price.

if you find a second one, let me know!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

There's a PC game from Shrapnel. I know you asked in boardgaming but I thought I'd offer in case you weren't aware.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Doesn't Command have a Falklands scenario? I don't own the game (yet... ) so I cannot confirm this though.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 05, 2013, 07:32:57 PM
Doesn't Command have a Falklands scenario? I don't own the game (yet... ) so I cannot confirm this though.
Yes it does - a couple in fact I believe. But I'm just not into Command's interface yet...maybe one day. Plus the Falklands scenario(s) are air/navy only. I was hoping for a nirvana of a game having both - and whilst Where There Is Discord only has a "final phase" abstracted it looked impressive enough and had good enough write ups to be on the want list.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: LongBlade on November 05, 2013, 07:22:23 PM
There's a PC game from Shrapnel. I know you asked in boardgaming but I thought I'd offer in case you weren't aware.
Yeah, I know. I tried the demo once, but it's look just didn't grab me - and I do need to like the look of a game in order to enjoy it.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 05, 2013, 06:37:46 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2013, 05:17:18 PMI'll just keep my eyes open for Where There Is Discord...maybe one will come up at a not too ridiculous price.

if you find a second one, let me know!
Will do - and if I find a first one that's too expensive, I'll let you know then too  ;)
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 06, 2013, 02:32:09 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on November 05, 2013, 07:22:23 PM
Yeah, I know. I tried the demo once, but it's look just didn't grab me - and I do need to like the look of a game in order to enjoy it.

Shrapnel is (in)famous for not focusing on production value. The game by all accounts is excellent but if you can't get past the looks and UI that's a problem.

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2013, 05:06:27 PM

Any Falklands War games out there? Particularly ones currently in print/for sale in the UK and with land/sea/air warfare?

I know about The Falklands War by Close Simulations and Where There Is Discord by Fifth Column Games - though I can't seem to find either in print or for sale. Amazingly the third print of Where There Is Discord is sold out!

You can set up naval scenarios for it in Harpoon 4 (the board game).  There's even a revised Harpoon scenario book thing: South Atlantic War.

On the computer, Dangerous Waters can do some Falkland stuff.

There was also a Strike Fighters mod covering the Falklands in 1982-style.

LongBlade

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2013, 05:06:27 PM

Ask and ye shall receive: http://iwantthisgame.com/index.php/discover/10-table-top-game/17-ring-of-hills  8)

JudgeDredd

Thanks very much LB. LnL too!

It does look like I'm going to have to have two games for The Falklands Conflict if I want navy and army involvement.

However I'll have to "favourite" the page just now...I'll be busy playing Blood and Bridges and RAF Battle of Britain at the moment
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

I believe Harpoon 4 also had a ground combat rules expansion, and the Falklands expansion supports it.  Although I'm sure the ground combat is more abstracted than other wargames that focus on it. 

I dunno - I've not spied the ground rules, although I've seen some of the scenario data related to it and the unit info was detailed down to the common equipment and somewhere around a squad or platoon base level.  Seemed like it was just a few general map 'zones' for a point-to-point type of map system though.

edit:  Of course, you would probably need the cold war version of the base H4 set to start off with.  All that stuff would add up quick, I'm sure.

JudgeDredd

I have the final version of Harpoon...but as much as I tried to get into it (which knowing me wasn't that hard!), it just never clicked with me.
Alba gu' brath