Rift is going free to play

Started by Huw the Poo, May 14, 2013, 01:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Quote from: SgtRock on June 16, 2013, 01:10:28 PM
7 out of 10 items just give more quests

Don't be silly, it's nowhere near that number.

QuoteEquipment (Armor, Weapons, etc), venders don't sell any, creatures don't drop any, I've only had 2 armor drops, no weapon drops from level 1 - 15. The game seems to be little more than find the next quest that will give you the next boot, belt, weapon upgrade.

Yes, loot tends to come mainly from quest rewards, but it does drop from mobs too - especially if you do things like rifts and instant adventures.  You can craft gear and also buy it on the auction house.

QuoteRuneCraft - how the hell do you find enough stuff to runebreak? It's only after I upgrade an armor piece, I have something to runebreak.

I can't help you there, sorry.  I haven't done any runecrafting.

QuoteQuests/Combat - it's seems way too easy to kill something than just stand there until it re-spawns, kill it again & repeat  to get 5-6 things for a typical quest.

This seems to happen more frequently now than it used to - probably tied to the number of active players, to save people from having to wait for everything to respawn so that they can finish the quest.  But yeah, it happens, as it does in any theme park MMO.

Kushan

Equipment (Armor, Weapons, etc), venders don't sell any, creatures don't drop any, I've only had 2 armor drops, no weapon drops from level 1 - 15. The game seems to be little more than find the next quest that will give you the next boot, belt, weapon upgrade.

Just like in every MMO, gear doesn't come from normal monster drops or normal vendors. You will occasionally get something decent from a monster drop but normal its crap. The "good" stuff comes from quest rewards, dungeons, and high end event vendors. TBH I've always wonder why normal vendors are even included in these games, no one ever uses the weapons/armor they sell.

Quests/Combat - it's seems way too easy to kill something than just stand there until it re-spawns, kill it again & repeat  to get 5-6 things for a typical quest.

How fast/many spawns there are is tied to how many people are in that area of the zone/on that quest. Will be this way until the population starts to even out a bit, either by people quitting or reaching max level.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Kushan on June 16, 2013, 01:45:47 PM
TBH I've always wonder why normal vendors are even included in these games, no one ever uses the weapons/armor they sell.

I've always wondered this too!  There must be some reason because they're in every game, but I'm damned if I can think what it is.  I don't think I've ever used one for anything other than selling loot.

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 16, 2013, 01:48:58 PM
Quote from: Kushan on June 16, 2013, 01:45:47 PM
TBH I've always wonder why normal vendors are even included in these games, no one ever uses the weapons/armor they sell.

I've always wondered this too!  There must be some reason because they're in every game, but I'm damned if I can think what it is.  I don't think I've ever used one for anything other than selling loot.

I figured it was for the rare occasion someone screws up and accidentally trashes/sells one of their items and needs filler until they get a replacement.  *shrug*

Kushan

Quote from: Nefaro on June 16, 2013, 03:10:56 PM9
I figured it was for the rare occasion someone screws up and accidentally trashes/sells one of their items and needs filler until they get a replacement.  *shrug*

When my WoW account was first hacked a few years ago, I used the vendor trash to attempt to do some quests while I waited for Blizz to get my stuff back to me. Had a bunch of guildies who gave me money so I could buy AH gear for the raid that night.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

SgtRock

Is there a manual for this game, I can't find one?

Why are characters down-leveled after returning from an instant adventure? If a start an Instant Adventure for my level 17 thief, gets down leveled to 14 and when I leave the adventure my thief stays at level 14, I have to log off and log back on to get my thief back to level 17.

What do I do with Artifacts?

Why do I get coin-locked after every login? This is getting old fast, I wait 10-15mins to login then have to go through this coin-lock crap.

I keep getting a message about you can only have 10 rewards, What is this?

Kushan

Quote from: SgtRock on June 18, 2013, 06:14:14 PM
What do I do with Artifacts?

They are hidden items in zones. Collecting all the items in a set will give you some bonus or comsetic item. For example I think one set gives you a 20 slot bag, etc.

Why do I get coin-locked after every login? This is getting old fast, I wait 10-15mins to login then have to go through this coin-lock crap.

Not sure about this. I was coin locked when I first logged back in, after that it hasn't come back. Maybe contact a GM or go to the Rift web site and contact a tech support rep via the chat feature. Probably quicker to go via the web site TBH.

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

Nefaro

That should usually happen when you login from a different computer, but with Rift I think it also does that when you haven't logged in for awhile or even when your IP address changes (which most people's do).  That crap drives me bonkers, too, and I regularly get it when playing Rift.

I had to do the same thing with SW:TOR recently, but only because I was playing it both on the ultrabook and the desktop.  Fortunately it eventually figured out the pattern and stopped pestering me.

Huw the Poo

Why are characters down-leveled after returning from an instant adventure? If a start an Instant Adventure for my level 17 thief, gets down leveled to 14 and when I leave the adventure my thief stays at level 14, I have to log off and log back on to get my thief back to level 17.

This doesn't happen to me, but I think it's your "mentor level" which you can adjust by right-clicking your portrait.

Huw the Poo

The cash shop in this game is fantastic, for two reasons:

1. There is an insane amount of stuff in there; I've never seen anything like it.
2. Prices are very reasonable.  Aside from some premium stuff, you can buy almost anything - with change - by purchasing the smallest number of credits available (1,125 at £5).  Many items, such as decoration for your dimensions, cost as little as 1 credit.

As of last night, Rift has the distinction of being the first F2P game I have ever spent money on.

Huw the Poo

Three pictures of my new cleric, Eloanna.  She's modelling two costumes (cosmetic armour/clothing you can display whilst retaining the stats of your "real" armour) and also an armoured warhorse I got as a loyalty bonus.  It has +130% speed and auto-scales to my fastest mount!

Kushan

Clarics were always my favorite class. Did you buy that costume from the Rift store?

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Kushan on June 22, 2013, 04:25:40 PM
Clarics were always my favorite class.

Mine too.  I think they're the most versatile, and the Cabalist and Inquisitor souls are excellent for both solo and group play.

QuoteDid you buy that costume from the Rift store?

Yeah they're both from the store.  I think they cost about 680 credits each.  Of course I could've bought them with in-game currency (if I'd had enough).

Huw the Poo

Another new soul to be added to each calling with the 3.0 update!  \o/

And apparently dimensions are going to be more interactive! \o/

Tpek

Sorry for the Thread-Necromancy, but is anyone here still playing Rift?