What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

My entire reality is being slashed and burned by this thread.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 14, 2019, 02:20:22 PM
The Poles had a general named, 'Rommel' too. I learned that playing Decisive Campaigns.

Yep! -- Juliusz Rommel, commandant of the city of Warsaw. TK reported to him after the battle, when he was smuggled into the city on the 20th. Rommel later wrote that standing before him was a man who was "utterly wrecked and who had lost self-control."

Rommel said nothing, encouraging his guest to speak.

"I have lost a battle," was all Kutrzeba could bluntly say.

Later captured, they spent the remainder of the war in German prison camps. Rommel returned to Poland to bask briefly as a war hero in 1945, before quietly retiring to write his memoirs. TK joined Polish exiles in London, wrote his memoirs, and nurtured the first systematic research of Fall Weiss -- dying in January 1947 before he could return to his homeland at last.

His work served as a major primary source for Hargreaves book.

:notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Poor Gus. Just emerged from the Matrix and still adjusting. Wait till he finds out there's a dongle-port in the back of his head.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 14, 2019, 03:21:04 PM
Poor Gus. Just emerged from the Matrix and still adjusting. Wait till he finds out there's a dongle-port in the back of his head.

You also get that plugging into the Avatars, apparently...  :o
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 14, 2019, 02:34:58 PM

His work served as a major primary source for Hargreaves book.

Do you know if this is available on line or in book form?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

It is available in both a nice printed edition (which I got for my brother as part of his Christmas WW2 west-front German memoir package), and in a good kindle edition (which I have for myself). Kindle is significantly less expensive, and you don't really lose anything especially with new readers. (My old original reader might have some problems.) Endnote functionality is better certainly on newer readers. I don't recall if the printed edition has footnotes instead (which are easier than endnotes for reference.) Some of the notes include extra information so they're worth checking at the end of a chapter.

JasonPratt

Amazon link to the hardback -- I got the paperback for bro, quality was high for a softback.  O0

https://smile.amazon.com/BLITZKRIEG-UNLEASHED-German-Invasion-Poland/dp/1844157776

I gave a summary of about 50 pages, I think? It's a thick book. Despite his odd oversights, it's a fine account of the personal experiences of the operation with plenty of overall strategic and political context.

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 14, 2019, 01:27:20 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 14, 2019, 01:24:07 PM
CnC B. Johannes Blaskowitz??

That's him, 8th Army commander. Hitler didn't like him much, and the feeling was more than mutual.

Maybe a distant relative of B.J. Blaskowitz: grandfather of Billy Blaze and great-grandfather of Doomguy?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Didn't Commander Keen grow up to be the Doom guy?

But yes, both characters were apparently named after the German 8th Army commander, sort of.

Staggerwing

Billy Blaze from the Commander Keen series was Doomguy's dad.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

If I ever get another dog, I'm going to name it, 'Blaskowitz'. Just cause it's fun to say.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

I finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance today.  I really enjoyed about the first half of the book.  The discussion on philosophy was largely new to me and I liked how the author used the motorcycle trip as a vehicle to talk about it.  However, I really did not enjoy the last half of the book (after the other couple leaves, if you've read it) and the long discussion about Phaedrus that occupied the last third.  I hated the ending.

I dunno, I wasn't sure what to expect when I started to book, so perhaps that was a bad thing.  I never had a clear idea of where the story was going until the last third, and once I did, I felt sort of disappointed in the direction the book went. 

Overall I rate it 2.5/5.  It was interesting, but I wouldn't say that it's a book you need to read.  I don't intend to read it again this lifetime, and I don't intend to read the sequel.  It turns out that I kind of just don't care what happens to the author as related in the next book.

So, I re-booted Don Quixote with the intention of finally finishing it.  Man, is it a long book.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

I'm thinking, after Don Quixote, of starting Winston Churchill's multi-volume account of WW2.  I already have the first volume, The Gathering Storm, that I picked up somewhere a few years ago. 

Has anybody read it and have an opinion on Churchill the author?

I'm also slowly working my way through Darwin's Voyage of the Beagle as sort of a palette cleanser when I don't want to get into anything too challenging.  It's one of the Great Books so I feel it's a worthy book to fill in some of my down time, and it doesn't seem to suffer if I read it in small pieces over a really long period of time.  I thank Airboy for turning me onto the very affordable collection of books, of which Voyage is part, on Kindle.  Thanks Airboy!    :hug:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs