Main Menu

Origins

Started by acctingman, July 05, 2018, 08:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

My wife and I are taking separate mini vacations next year. She is going to a weekend spa retreat and I'm thinking of hitting a gaming convention.

In a nutshell, how is the experience at Origins? Never been to one. The ONLY convention I've ever attended was a comic con

bayonetbrant

Bottom line is this: it's the biggest live gathering of our grog brethren here each year.

There's other game conventions, and others where wargaming is a more central focus.  But Origins is the one we've adopted as our annual summer "family reunion" for the GrogHeads, so it's your best chance of gaming and libations with our crew here :)

beyond that, I'll let the others chime in
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Not sure you'll get much feedback on Origins around here.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

I suggest looking at the spreadsheet of Origins events.  There were about 7.5k events in 2018.

Event quality is highly dependent on the group sponsoring the specific game.  Some groups are great and others are hit or miss.

MetalDog

Do what I do, go and hang around the booth with the chillest dudes at GH.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Ubercat

Quote from: acctingman on July 05, 2018, 08:53:00 AM
My wife and I are taking separate mini vacations next year. She is going to a weekend spa retreat and I'm thinking of hitting a gaming convention.

In a nutshell, how is the experience at Origins? Never been to one. The ONLY convention I've ever attended was a comic con

World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) is the one Con I do every year. Nine days of gaming nirvana at the Seven Springs ski lodge roughly an hour from Pittsburgh. This year it starts in 16 days. You won't meet as many Grogheadstm there but there are plenty of war games as well as many other kinds.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

airboy

If I was close to Pittsburg I would go.