Military Operations: Benchmark released

Started by Grecco, June 21, 2018, 06:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

This is the games actual website http://militaryoperationshq.com/milops-rts-game/

Couldn't find any information about a release date though so it may be a good while. Does look very interesting!

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on June 21, 2018, 09:44:24 AM
Just looking at the trailer properly and it is impressive. I cannot believe my eyes really.
But I also cannot imagine their is a physics model to this and the infantry do remind me of combat mission 1.
Apart from that and the necessarily cartoonish ultimate general style graphics it looks great. I wonder if the TO&E is historical.
It reminds me of what I would have liked hearts of iron to be like.

I don't think it's meant to be a tactical game. 

I tried it out.  It's massive and seems to crash when exiting.

sandman2575

This game sounds almost impossibly ambitious. I mean, I'm very impressed by the devs' vision and give them kudos for shooting for the stars here, but it's also a little hard for me to imagine this actually succeeding. I will definitely monitor progress on this one though, and wish the devs all the good luck in the world in taking it on. I hope they do succeed.

I have to say as well, I kind of wish the game didn't descend all the way down to the level of 3D units. I can imagine playing this and not wanting or needing to go deeper in 'magnification' than the level you see around the 0:20 mark in the video, with the formation counters and arrows. The footage of Opel Blitzes zooming all over the place does ruin the immersion for me. I guess I wonder why the game needs to even represent that.

Love the OOB stuff at the 1:15 mark and the NATO counters. A lot less thrilled by the Opel Blitzes...

Jarhead0331

Yeah...why is this benchmark demo 20 GB?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

HoodedHorseJoe

Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Grecco

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 22, 2018, 09:21:21 AM
Yeah...why is this benchmark demo 20 GB?

The Benchmark is not an application to test your hardware with, it is designed to test the engine the game will run on. This means we want to test it under "real-world" conditions and so we need to ship a realistic sized level and use a realistic unit count. The following post describes what data ships with the benchmark and how many units are in the scenario the benchmark runs:

https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791461812555/announcements/detail/1693798980346075400

For those interested, in this blog post I dig a little deeper into the data that goes into the engine and the pipeline we constructed to process it:

http://militaryoperationshq.com/the-world-is-enough/

Ian C

The benchmark just hangs at 68% and says "shutting down" and I have to manually end the task in task manager.

I have an AMD FX8350 4GHz 8-core CPU, SSD drive, 16 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GTX 760 @ 2GB video RAM.

No plans to upgrade.

Grecco

Quote from: Ian C on June 22, 2018, 12:23:07 PM
The benchmark just hangs at 68% and says "shutting down" and I have to manually end the task in task manager.

I have an AMD FX8350 4GHz 8-core CPU, SSD drive, 16 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GTX 760 @ 2GB video RAM.

No plans to upgrade.

I'm sorry to hear you couldn't run the benchmark. We have identified an issue that occurs on certain machine configurations during startup and are working on a fix for it: https://trello.com/c/u956nOfH/2-system-crashes-during-start-up-while-enumerating-opencl-devices

Unfortunately, your graphics card has only 2GB of VRAM but the benchmark requires 3GB of VRAM so it will not run even after we fix this startup issue (sorry!), but it should not crash or hang anymore.

sandman2575

I'm not sure I see the wisdom of developing a hardcore strategy game like this that is so demanding in terms of system requirements - ?

I mean, this is a niche game to begin with. Aren't you just limiting your game's appeal that much further by requiring high-end PCs to run it?

Destraex

I for one am glad somebody picked up the ball so we see something more advanced than board game hexes before we die.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

^ Ditto.

And the high-end computers of today become the standards of tomorrow. My old Falcon DRX laptop was the moxiest laptop ever made, for its time, and would have choked running Steel Division, and couldn't run CK2 or equivalent Paradox engine titles.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

sandman2575

Believe me, I am 100% in favor of PC strategy games ditching the hexes, which are still far too prevalent, as a glance at the Matrix/Slitherine catalog all too clearly shows.

But this game seems to be aiming at something like a quantum leap in RTS evolution, combining the fluid (non-hex-based) continental scale of Hearts of Iron IV with the down-to-the-individual-3D-vehicle scale of the Graviteam or Eugen wargames.  I applaud the ambition. But I am also left scratching my head at how the devs can pull that off, unless they really are content to limit the game's accessibility to those of us with very high end PCs.

Barthheart

Well I've given it a try and it now won't run at all on my machine.  ???

My specs:
Processor: i7-6700 @3.4GHz
16 GB ram
Video card: GeForce GTX 1060 6BG, latest drivers.

Program, it shows up as software not a game on my Steam library, started the first time, screen went black then dumped back to Steam interface. Clicked on program icon in taskbar and get white startup screen saying it's testing the vid card. Seems good. then goes to main menu.
I select options, the video options and set quality to high. Screen goes black and dumps back to Steam interface.
Click on program icon in task bar again and screen flick to black then back to Steam.
Kill the program with task manager. Try to start again and it won't start up, just dumps back to Steam.

I obviously shouldn't have bumped the quality up but now it's in-useable.  ???

Hope others have better luck. I've uninstalled it.

Grecco

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 22, 2018, 08:05:55 PM
I'm not sure I see the wisdom of developing a hardcore strategy game like this that is so demanding in terms of system requirements - ?

For us this is a project born out of passion with a clear vision in mind and one that became technically feasible because of hardware developments in recent years. This does mean that our hardware baseline is a bit high, but our tech is built with an eye on the future. These blog entries explain this in more detail:

http://militaryoperationshq.com/milops-original-concept/
http://militaryoperationshq.com/milops-original-concept-part-2/

The short story is that current-day hardware is way more powerful than most people realize.

Grecco

https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791461812555/announcements/detail/1693798980367864573

We have released a beta-patch for the benchmark that solves a range of issues people were having during startup. You can try it out by enabling the beta-branch.