Greetings from Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Started by Grecco, May 07, 2018, 12:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grecco

Hello everyone, I had an account here already but I seem to have broken it. But that's okay since I'm mostly a "lurker" on forums anyway  ^-^ . I've been into (mostly computer-based) war/strategy games since I first played some of the classics on my C64 in the 80's and I've always dreamt of making a wargame myself. It's taken a little time since then for computers to catch up with my ambitions (as well as acquiring the programming skills required) but the project is finally underway under the name "Military Operations".

I like reading forums like this one for user comments on what they (dis)like about games, how they would like to see them improved and evolve. I also like reading AAR's, especially after I wrote one pretty big AAR of an Advanced Tactics PBEM battle and writing that one took more time than playing the game itself, so I know how much work goes into making one. Devouring history books on WW2 is also one of my hobbies and thanks to the e-book I don't have to leave any book at home when traveling  8)

Currently, as I spend most of my time programming, I have little time for gaming but I'd like to. Any tips on a good strategy game with some depth to it that you can comfortably play for 1 or 2 hours a session? Multiplayer would be a plus since computer opponents are too easy to beat.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

RommelFox

Welcome Grecco!

Look forward to hearing more about your project.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Jarhead0331

Welcome...not much in the way of military history in your neighborhood, eh?  ^-^
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bob48

^LOL

I bet if we dug through the history books a bit we may find the odd event or so. :)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

Great to have you with us Grecco. That's how I got started here, looking for honest game opinions, then lurking about in the shadows for a while. Then somebody said something I just couldn't let go by and not only did people listen to what I had to say... some of them agreed with me.  :o   Better treatment than I get at home where most often they just ask, "Are you STILL here"? So I stayed. Look forward to hearing what you've got to say.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grecco

Thank you all for the welcome!

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 07, 2018, 02:01:33 PM
Welcome...not much in the way of military history in your neighborhood, eh?  ^-^

Nah, just these places everybody's already been to, like Arnhem, Bastogne, Dunkirk, Normandy, Berlin, or Waterloo, if you're into Napoleon  ;) (did I mention I was mostly into WW2? so sorry if I'm forgetting to mention other era's). But seriously, there's a treasure trove of places to visit that are just a few hours distant from here. Unfortunately, growing up in a small country has ingrained me with the perception that a 3-hour drive is a very long drive. You know: like going to another country (which is literally what happens if you drive in any direction from here for 3 hours). That was until I visited the USA where "the next city" is at least 4 hours away by car (and for some reason you're not allowed to drive as fast as you are allowed to on the German Autobahn).

JasonPratt

Oh, great! -- I've been keeping a bit of an eye on that MilOps game on steam for a little while.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Dammit Carl!

MikeGER

Grecco

Quote from: MikeGER on May 07, 2018, 03:33:50 PM
don't forget Overloon  :)

Overloon, of course! I plan to visit Overloon in 2 weeks for Militracks, they have a pretty unique collection of (running) vehicles on display that weekend and there might just be a King Tiger present: http://www.militracks.nl/en/participating-military-vehicles/

Sir Slash

King Tiger you say? First day here and already he's moistening our loins. A true Grog.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.