Main Menu

Hello from Atlanta, GA.

Started by crazydave1066, May 03, 2018, 05:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydave1066

Hey everyone! Just joined the site and am excited to see what it has to offer! Quick question: can anyone recommend a good Vietnam era computer wargame? The Vietnam War has always fascinated me, but unfortunately it is nearly impossible to find a good game based on it. If anyone could recommend something, that would be great. Thanks!  :)

bbmike

Welcome, crazydave1066! I only have Vietnam '65. It's a fun, light game and not sure that's what you would want.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Hello Dave. Vietnam '65 gets some good rep around here.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

crazydave1066

Thanks for the response guys! I already own Vietnam '65, and while I enjoy it a lot, I am looking for something a little more complex and simulation-like.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Welcome...Operational Art of War IV has some great Vietnam Scenarios. You may also want to check out WinSPMBT...its older, but still on my top 10 list and it has a lot of interesting Vietnam scenarios. Finally, HPS Sims Squad Battle series has one or two Vietnam titles that should be in any wargamer's collection.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 03, 2018, 08:43:51 PM
Welcome...Operational Art of War IV has some great Vietnam Scenarios. You may also want to check out WinSPMBT...its older, but still on my top 10 list and it has a lot of interesting Vietnam scenarios. Finally, HPS Sims Squad Battle series has one or two Vietnam titles that should be in any wargamer's collection.

Just saw there is a new patch for WinSPMBT. And Operational Art of War is a great suggestion.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Welcome to the Grogs crazydave. Great to have you with us because everybody needs friends in Atlanta.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

crazydave1066

Thanks everyone! I will definitely check some of these games out!

airboy

Welcome!  I'm 2-3 hours down the road in Auburn.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bob48

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 03, 2018, 10:01:51 PM
Welcome to the Grogs crazydave. Great to have you with us because everybody needs friends in Atlanta.

I've got a friend in Hartlepool. Does that count?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

steve58

Ninja'd by Jarhead  :-[

HPS has one.

https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/SB/SBVietnam/SBVietnam.html

...and even one if you are into the air combat of the era.

https://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/ModAir/WOV/wov.html

(p.s. even though I never got into Atlanta itself much, I loved the area.  I used to live in Suwanee.) 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)