Self-Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

Started by mirth, March 19, 2018, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

So..... who's at fault? The safety person in the car? The software engineer? Uber?

mirth

I'm sure the NTSB investigators will be trying to determine that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

I'd also add the jay-walking pedestrian to the fault list....

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on March 19, 2018, 01:35:38 PM

Sure, but even human drivers aren't allowed to run down jaywalkers (as much as one might want to).

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on March 19, 2018, 01:38:23 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on March 19, 2018, 01:35:38 PM

Sure, but even human drivers aren't allowed to run down jaywalkers (as much as one might want to).

True, but you still have self-absorbed idiots stepping into moving traffic....

mirth

Oh, I well know it. And it may be the case that the pedestrian was at fault in this incident.

bbmike

Sad, but there will be unfortunate incidents like this. Go back and look at when cars first starting hitting the 'roads'. Traffic signs, lights, etc. didn't appear at the same time and were created for a reason.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Con

Its the first sign of AI taking us out

mirth

trailrunner

When I worked for the Army, I developed some sensors for autonomous vehicles. I am absolutely not surprised that this happened.

DoctorQuest

It just makes you wonder if the technology has been tested under all possible conditions. You would THINK they would consider a wayward pedestrian a contingency to be considered.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Steelgrave

I'm guessing they have a legal fund factored in for just these contingencies. Hard to imagine you could jump into such technology without knowing there will be lawsuits and wrongful death checks to be paid.

Gusington

Wait until the self driving aerial vehicles are deployed.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Emeraldlis

I just don't want technology taking away from me the fun of driving! I do not want a self driving car  :tickedoff:  And I think the argument that they'll be safer has just been disproved  :-\
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog