Naval Book Collection

Started by Jarhead0331, March 15, 2018, 09:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

There is a paralegal at my firm who's father was in the Navy in the late 1940s and who subsequently worked with ADM Rickover on the USS Nautilus as a nuclear engineer. By all indications, he was fascinated by all things navy from a very early age. During his lifetime, he collected a very impressive collection of naval books covering a diverse area of topics on naval warfare, ship design and leadership throughout the ages. He had particular interest in WWII, and clearly had a particular love for various ships, such as the Hood, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, and particular battles, such as Pearl Harbor and Taranto.

In any event, he recently passed away at the age of 90 and based upon my interest and long discussions with his daughter, he asked that his collection go to me. I was truly honored to accept this gift and I've only just begun to go through the books. There are some really fascinating titles in the collection. Some of my favorites so far include interrogation transcripts of top Japanese Naval Officers after the war and some really spectacular books on ship design and architecture. I have a pdf file that lists and categorizes the entire collection. I'd love to post it just to give you guys some idea of how vast and varied the collection is, but the file is too big to attach.

As I go through it, I'll be sure to post about things that strike me as particularly interesting. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

That sounds like a really cool collection. I have you tried to optimize the pdf? Sometimes that will reduce it's size but you need a full version of Acrobat to do that.

Gusington

JH I have a full version of Acrobat if you want to email it to me and I can optimize it for posting.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Or even break it into a couple of parts.....

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on March 15, 2018, 12:46:28 PM
JH I have a full version of Acrobat if you want to email it to me and I can optimize it for posting.

Will do. Thanks for the offer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

Very impressive library of books.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Greybriar

Quote from: bbmike on March 15, 2018, 03:44:40 PM
+1. Wow, what a collection!

+2 That is exactly what I was going to post! O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

airboy

Amazing collection.  I've read a fraction of them.

Dammit Carl!