Palladium Robotech internet drama

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, February 28, 2018, 05:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I had this RPG back in the 80s but we hardly ever played it.  Just happened to see a FB post from a gaming site that mentioned that Palladium lost the Robotech licence and would not be shipping the long promised Wave 2 stuff to the Kickstarter backers.  I clicked on the link and was treated to...well....this.  Schadenfreude engage!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/80tidh/palladium_loses_robotech_license_wave_2_of/

Nefaro

Yikes.

Surprised there hasn't been a murderous rampage yet.

I recall owning the old Palladium Robotech RPG back in the 80's too.  Along with a few other Palladium games. 

BanzaiCat

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/2120399

QuotePlease understand, as a Kickstarter backer, you have not purchased or pre-ordered a product. You have "supported a project" in exchange for a promise of a reward. That reward had an original estimated delivery date which has passed, but that date was always an estimate, not a guaranteed deadline.

By Kickstarter's terms of service, we are obligated to deliver on the rewards we have promised, and we will do that. We are currently working toward doing just that.

As such, we cannot offer you a refund at this time. If the time should ever come that Palladium Books cannot fulfill the terms of our Kickstarter project, we will of course offer refunds, as we would be required to do by Kickstarter.

I wonder if they actually intend to hold themselves to that last bit (emphasis mine). Somehow I doubt it. I wonder when that 'time' will be?

This is one of the reasons why I'll probably never do a Kickstarter project, no matter how much of a 'sure thing' it is, nor the reputation of the person/group doing it. It's throwing money out there on faith. I get that most are good and a lot of you support projects through KS - that's great and if you wanna, go for it. Me, nah, I'm good.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Yeah, you really have to be prepared to never see your money or the product ever again.
Only been burned once... Up Front  >:(