Is anyone on these boards a vegan?

Started by JudgeDredd, February 09, 2018, 08:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 09, 2018, 10:22:56 AM
Cool. Thanks Mirth.

I don't know how "vegan" I'll be. I don't know how long I'll be vegan. It may even turn into vegetarianism. I might give up. Who knows.

50 years old, I've been naively hiding away from how animals are treated to feed and cloth me. I've recently looked into it (my daughter is vegan and has mentioned things here and there) and I was disgusted with what I found  :'(

I certainly am not and would not judge anyone for who they are or how they are. But I don't want to put money into that industry. Like I said though - I'm 50 years a meat eater - so I have no idea how this is going to pan out  :-"

Wish me luck

Probably a healthier diet, but not for me.

I grew up on a farm and we had a small herd of beef cattle.  Many of my buddies are in the meat production industry (chicken, hogs and beef).  I know what goes on, both on small farms and on industrial ones.  I also hunt and fish and know exactly what that process is like.

I would try to visit a farm, or see what is done on animal production lines from a source outside the greenpeace/humane society types.  They take the worst possible examples and pitch them as the "norms" for the industry.

Still, the West is largely free to make that choice on your own.  The best to you.  It can be less expensive and healthier.

I'll give up my bacon, pork chops, etc.... when they pry my gun from my cold dead fingers.

mirth

Quote from: airboy on February 09, 2018, 12:08:18 PM
I'll give up my bacon, pork chops, etc.... when they pry my gun from my cold dead fingers.

There's a video for that too :P

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

airboy

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 09, 2018, 12:02:19 PM

^ I've seen it before, but it is awesome!

You eat broccoli - that's what my food eats!

Pork - They eat vegetables so you don't have to!

airboy

Mirth is a very nice guy in person, despite his unwillingness to listen to our allies in the canine kingdom and eat bacon.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

Homo sapiens have been omnivores for about 200,000 years.... why change now?

MikeGER

Judge, there is an easy way out if you are concerned about how animals get treated, eat game.

those wild animals had a good life, didn't knew what hit them so no fear like those on transports
and got feed in nature in the most natural way.  no artificial hormones or antibiotics traces in the meat

if you say game meat is to expensive, try to get a hunting licence or buy it less frequent.

@Mirth
Q: What is the Native American word for vegetarian
A: Poor Hunter  ;D

mirth

Quote from: MikeGER on February 09, 2018, 12:30:48 PM
@Mirth
Q: What is the Native American word for vegetarian
A: Poor Hunter  ;D

Never heard that before  :crazy2:

Pete Dero

undercovergeek

Big respect and admiration for the decision JD, but........

Does this mean all the clothes, shoes, car accessories, bike equipment, modelling gear that have touched the animal industry are all going out of the window too?

mirth

There are different ways to approach veganism. Some people choose to simply follow a vegan diet. I suppose they wouldn't be considered "true" vegans, but I don't nit-pick over nonsense like that.

Mainly, it's about finding what works for you. I didn't become a vegetarian until I was twenty three. Before that, I had eaten every type of fish or game that could be found in Maine. When I became a vegetarian, it was one of the easiest things I've ever done. I never had a craving. I never missed bacon or chicken.

I don't proselytize to my family and friends. I don't mock their own decisions. If I'm asked about it, I provide honest answers. If people want to be critical or present me with bullshit "what about this" scenarios, I'm willing and able to stand up for myself. Being a vegetarian works for me and that's all I need to know. Most people around me don't even know I'm a vegetarian.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.