Coffee a Cancer Hazard?

Started by Labbug, February 02, 2018, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"acrylamide" sounds perfectly safe
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

QuoteCoffee contains traces of acrylamide, a chemical formed during the roasting process that CERT believes is cancerous.

Not "knows" or "has proven"...

#:-)

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on February 02, 2018, 09:53:35 AM
QuoteCoffee contains traces of acrylamide, a chemical formed during the roasting process that CERT believes is cancerous.

Not "knows" or "has proven"...

#:-)

Because it hasn't been proven, but it is "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen"

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/acrylamide.html
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

QuoteAcrylamide is found mainly in plant foods, such as potato products, grain products, or coffee. Foods such as French fries and potato chips seem to have the highest levels of acrylamide,

LOL! Let's see them try and get fries and chips declared cancer agents....  :P

QuoteBecause it hasn't been proven, but it is "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen"

That statement is entirely based on lab animal testing... who are probably force fed a large portion of their body weight of Acrylamide each and every day....  L:-)

Labbug

High-temperature cooking such as frying, baking, and broiling can produce acrylamide.  It can be found in baked potatoes and bread.

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on February 02, 2018, 10:07:18 AM

QuoteBecause it hasn't been proven, but it is "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen"

That statement is entirely based on lab animal testing... who are probably force fed a large portion of their body weight of Acrylamide each and every day....  L:-)

I understand what it is based on. Nonetheless that is the statement issued by National Toxicology Program. A similar statement was issued by the  International Agency for Research on Cancer.

OJsDad

I've always said coffee will kill a person.  Glad others are starting to agree with me. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Considering how much really crappy coffee I drank in my early 20s, I'm surprised I'm not dead already.

MikeGER

Quote from: Barthheart on February 02, 2018, 10:07:18 AM
LOL! Let's see them try and get fries and chips declared cancer agents....  :P

welcome to the EU  and its dictatorship of centralized silly regulations :-X

and cause of acrylamide the fries and chips shall be only 'half baked' and bright yellow and not too dark (=tasty) soon to keep inside the limits   https://enablon.com/blog/2017/12/15/eu-regulation-acrylamide-food-compliance-digest

bayonetbrant

it's one thing to inform people of a potential risk

it's another thing to remove their freedom of choice for taking the risk
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Lord forbid they take stop me from chasing barfly MILFs.

Barthheart

Good thing I don't drink coffee then... vile stuff.... yer all gonna die.... eventually... like all of us are....  :P

mirth

I'm going to let the booze kill me.

Barthheart

Good choice... just make it good booze.