Main Menu

Scumbags

Started by JudgeDredd, January 27, 2018, 08:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

So it was my daughter's 21st birthday on the 27th December. Family and friends gave her money for her 21st and Christmas.

She's a student in Sheffield. Works hard outside of her studies and saves her money and "very occasionally" buys herself something. Last year it was a laptop. This year, it was a new Samsung S8 phone - the first decent, brand new phone she's ever had - and some wee scumbag shithead decided what's other people's is his and stole it.

I fucking hate humans :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

airboy

Steelgrave

I hate thieves. Lowest of the low. Sorry to hear the news, JD.

Staggerwing

I am sorry for your daughter's misfortune JD.

Does Android let you track you phone like iOS does? Also, if it offers an option for remote wipe I'd consider that so the thief can't call all her contacts or read her emails. Change all her passwords ASAP.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

Perhaps cutting off a thief's hand is such a bad idea after all.   :knuppel2:
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

Humans are the worst.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

It's high time something was done about them.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

trailrunner

My daughter's phone was stolen when she was about that age (she's 28 now).  It really hurts when it's something that you've worked hard for and bought with your own money.

JudgeDredd

Thanks guys.

She's changed her passwords (under instruction from me - kids can be so stubborn). It does have tracking - but only when switched on and most thieves of phones nowadays know to switch them off. They don't want to use them, just pass them on.

She's keeping an eye out anyway - just in case it does get switched on. It had biometric security - so the stuff on there should be safe. But as with everything, I imagine it can be wiped and factory reset and sold on.

I remember I had my bike stolen by an opportune thief. I was gutted.
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 27, 2018, 10:04:55 AM

I remember I had my bike stolen by an opportune thief. I was gutted.

I actually remember you posting that. You had pix of the place they took it from, iirc.

BanzaiCat

That sucks, JD.

I had a bike stolen right out of my backyard when I was 10. It was a brand new bike I had received for my b-day, and it was mine for maybe a month before some wanker took it. Never saw it again. I still remember that sting.

Not just having things stolen, but working in retail, gives you a healthy hatred of people in general. :(

Staggerwing

I've had my car broken into twice, once parked on Houston St in Manhattan and once in New Haven. Both times I had nothing in the car really worth stealing except my 1st responder bag, some ordinary clothes, and cassette tapes. The time in New Haven might have been because I had an EMS sticker on my window (the bag was hidden). Fuckers. After that I stopped locking my car while in the city so I wouldn't have to replace windows again.

bayonetbrant

About 4 years ago, there were a bunch of cell phones stolen out of exhibitors' booths at Origins.  One of the vendors had a tracker on their phone, and called the police and gave them the exact address where the phone was based on the signal.  The police said they weren't going to get a warrant for just one cell phone, especially in that part of town where they had no idea how heavily armed the people in the house were (it was not a good part of Columbus).

IIRC, they skipped the middlemen, and called straight to the mayor's office, with a newspaper reporter listening in on the call. The mayor's office promised to call the cops, and the reporter said after the call that she'd follow up and see if they ever did, but I don't remember what happened after that.  I don't think they ever recovered the phone.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Hmm... We need to design a locking case that has a couple of tiny CS canisters inside which are triggered by the remote wipe signal.

trailrunner

I rode my bike to a coffee shop, where I'm at right now. My bike is locked, but I'm still watching it closely.

Bike thieves deserve a special hell.